Pages

Monday, February 27, 2006

Going The Distance

(Love that song)


Nascar...I don't get it. But the problem is, I DO get it. Last week at work, everyone was talking about the Daytona 500 because one woman and her husband went down to Florida for it. I realized the following about Nascar:

-I don't mind when someone has a certain driver they cheer for
-I do mind when they only shop at their sponsors
-I don't mind when people talk about the crashes as being more "exciting"
-I do mind when people complain there weren't enough crashes
-I don't mind people saying it's more fun to be AT the race
-I do mind when it's because they go and drink a ton of beer

It also annoys me when (usually) girls get into Nascar because their significant others like it. (Obviously, this isn't a 100% scenario but for the people I'm thinking about its girls and their boyfriends.) They end up sounding really stupid about it and like they are just repeating what they hear people say. It is almost like when someone likes a baseball team just because the pitcher is hott or something. They will go to the games and cheer and wear the jersey, but in the end they don't always "get" the game and (in my opinion) end up looking very stupid.

I was just thinking of this because Nascar season has begun and I'm already sick of people at work talking about their drivers. I always throw in that I love Tony Stewart because he is apparently a jackass and it always starts off a fun debate that I quietly leave before it's over.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

This cracks me up! I especially like your list of likes and dislikes. It makes sense.

CBK said...

From what I've heard Tony Stewart, fresh off his Nextel Cup win last season, has turned over a new leaf and is a nice guy now.

I don't care much for NASCAR, but I root for Jeff Gordon because he is the best non-oval track (i.e. REAL racing) driver in the field. But he sure knows how to choke in the big races lately. But I don't really follow it, I swear. If I had a workplace full of real fans I'd go crazy.

Miss Scarlet said...

See, CBK, that was a good response because you mentioned something more than "Home Depot" or "He crashed!" There is skill involved in the sport so commenting on it is good.

I chose Sterling Marlin as my "favorite" when my dad started watching it (and no, he's not a redneck) just because. But I stuck with him;)

Unknown said...

Also failed to mention that again, I like the song in the title : )

Miss Scarlet said...

Me, too. Love Cake. Love the band, too. Harharhahra har...har....ha.

Cheryl said...

I totally know what you mean about people who are into it, but clueless...and I agree that it's annoying.

Miss Scarlet said...

Exactly, Cheryl. If they talked about thinks other than the sponsors and beer then they wouldn't annoy me so much.