Pages

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Conversation

I watched Pride & Prejudice earlier today, the one with Keira Knightley and the perfect Mr. Darcy. I loved it, of course. So many moments of conversation that goes misunderstood and people holding back and then messes coming from it all. It's like in TV shows when you're screaming at the screen, "JUST TELL HIM HE'S YOUR COUSIN AND IT WILL ALL WORK OUT!" You know what I'm talking about, the boyfriend see's his girlfriend in a restaurant with a guy, they hug goodbye and then the boyfriend breaks up with the girl because she is obviously cheating on him. And in books, too. How many book plots revolve around two people who obviously like each but take 300 pages to finally realize it? So often it's one character who assumes the other is dating the person he/she is seen with when really, it's the person's coworker or sibling in from out of town. And so, to save face and not expose real emotions, the mistaken character ends up confusing the one who is actually unattached and smitten for the other and it's this crazy snowball effect that just gets worse and worse. Thank goodness TV, Movies, and Books usually have those happy endings that we all hope and cheer for.

Ok, so with that long-winded introduction, the reason I am writing about this is because of my, "OH MY GOSH TELL ME THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN CONSTANTLY IN REAL LIFE!" moment. Imagine someone trying to have a "serious conversation" with me but I take the cue incorrectly and start talking about the greenhouse effect when they really want to profess their undying love for me. Or if I'm seen with a friend from afar and it's assumed I'm taken so then noone approaches me with their own feelings. Even something as innocent as tiredness being mistaken as boredeom. Seriously, even something as stupid as that could begin the snowball effect of assumptions.

I know I've done this. I remember a friend of mine, who I just so happened to have a crush on, started hanging out A LOT with another (female) friend and I as convinced something was going on there. It's easy to assume things with people but definitely NOT easy to straighten things out and be honest and ask questions. I guess it adds to the drama. The confusion and assumptions and missed opportunities. Good thing the movies and books always* have happy endings. It won't matter if art imitates life or life imitates art. It makes me laugh to think of some of my own moments of assuming things and then later finding out how wrong I was. Or of the times when someone finally asked me for clarification and we realized the events that had unfolded because of the incorrect truth.

But back to the movie. Mr. Darcy. Accents. LOVES IT!

*I'm the girl who stops Cruel Intentions before he dies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh, yes, but NO. you must go find and watch the A&E version of P&P right now. six hours and worth every minute. colin firth is totally the ultimate mr. darcy. and jennifer ehle is a much better lizzie than keira (no offense to keira, but her ill-fitting wigs were making me crazy!)