Pages

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Unforgettable

A few friends and I have this thing we do called Mailtunes. Each month or so, a different person picks a theme and we all choose a certain number of songs to contribute to the ultimate mix. It's a lot of fun not only to make the choices, but also to see how other people interpreted the theme and what new music is on the final mix.

Mailtunes 1.0 (Me): Songs For When You Are Snowed In. This is our shortest mix bx it's an audio CD as opposed to the mp3/multiple disc format we adopted for the rest of them.



Mailtunes 2.0 (Anna): Love Songs (This was around Valentine's Day) "Aw!" This one was fun because I'm a total girl.



Mailtunes 3.0 (Serena): Basically a geography theme but I don't have the paper with me that gives the longer description. This was interpreted in a few ways. Serena included artists who had performed at SXSW, I think Ali and I both did songs with geography things in the titles, Anna and Allie had a few based more loosely on the theme such as a song in German, etc.



Mailtunes 4.0 (Allie): Songs From Our Memories. This was fun because I got to include things like INXS, Buffalo Tom, Aerosmith and The Rolling Stones.



Mailtunes 5.0 (Ali!) Related Mailtunes where each song must relate to the one before and after it. Example: "Nirvana-"Heart Shaped Box" (drummer Dave Grohl who sings:) "Foo Fighters- Everlong" (with bassist Nate Mendel who was in:) "Sunny Day Real Estate- Pillars" etc...Get it? It's awesome. We're working on this one right now. It's due in 3 weeks!




I'm already thinking about my next theme idea...any thoughts?

8 comments:

lala said...

um, that is the awesomest thing ever. so, once you get the list, who makes the cd? someone has to have all the songs, right? i have to know logistics.

Miss Scarlet said...

Oh sorry...the person who chooses the theme (it rotates) has everyone's CDs sent to her and then she compiles them all onto one disc and sends them back out.

Unknown said...

I have to admit that the 'Love' mixes we made are my favorite to date. I can listen to that cd over and over.

Pink Is Neat said...

Everyone i tell this to thinks its awesome and are completely jealous of us.

which they should be.

The love mixes are my favorite too, but my personal favorite cd is the one i made for the last round.

Miss Scarlet said...

I like the love mixes a lot, too.

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Songs for fast driving.

Songs for the traffic jam.

Crybaby wails (or songs ro break up with)

the duck said...

This is a great idea. Now if I just had friends who were motivated enough to mail back the CD's. Seriously...awesome.

One of my favorite 'mixes' has always been "Perfect for a Road Trip". Like if you were Thelma & Louise, what music would be your perfect soundtrack...

dara said...

I apparently missed this when you first posted.

My ex boyfriend and I used to make goofy theme mix cds for random activities. So, for example, we made mix cds for drives to West Virginia and New Jersey. (Sample songs include "Dueling Banjos" and "Bitchin' Camaro.") We tried to make one for Amish country, but there are very few songs about Mennonites.

The best CD, though, is one all about food -- in the order in which you'd eat a meal. It's got "Mac & Cheese" by Mary Prankster, "Ice Cream" by Sarah McLachlan, "Milk" by Garbage, etc.

I'm going to have to find it. It was silly, but fun.