Pages

Thursday, June 29, 2006

I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor

So is anyone else ready to start taking dance lessons after watching So You Think You Can Dance?!?! I don't know why this show is considered a guilty pleasure, it's so good! I don't even care who wins or loses, I just like to see the different dance styles.

I took dance for like, 9 years but once I had to quit in 9th grade, I definitely lost all grace and dance skill. I'd love to take it again but I don't want to have to commute to a dance class and anything nearby has the potential for people I know to be in it. I begged my mom to let me do cottilion because I wanted to do ballroom dancing but that never happened. I did do swing dancing ONCE but I didn't really like it and the DJ dragged me onto the dance floor and forced me to dance with him so then I REALLY didn't like it. He was old and sweaty and I was 16!

Back to the show though, did anyone else watch? Here are my thoughts (and I'm using the website becaues NO, I do not know everyone's names):

1. Ashlee and Ben danced to "Caught Up" in the hip hop style- I liked this. How can hip hop dancing go wrong? It's entertaining as a rule.

2. Heidi and Ryan danced to "Rumba del Solar" with cuban rumba- Holy hell this was amazing! This almost had me out the door on my way to dance class. So awesome.

3. Ivan and Allison danced to "Libertango" in the argentine tango style- Whoa! This one was amazing, too. The dance looked very tough because of all of the footwork but they did a good job. The outfits rocked, too.

4. Dmitry and Aleksandra danced to "If I Were A Painting" with the waltz- Even if they are new partners, their names go together perfectly. This dance sucked. The song sucked, the choreography was BORING, and it made me feel bad for them.

5. Donyelle and Benji with "Put The Needle On It" in pop jazz- I thought this one would be boring and not exciting but they did a good job. It's what I imagined that Britney/Justin dance-off to have been like back in the day. This routine was the West Side Story of Two Double Oh Six. Jazz Hands!

6. Musa and Natalie to "Zoot Suit Riot" cursed with the Quick Step- Bust on this one, guys. Horrible dance to an even worse song. I think with a better song it could have been better.

7. Jessica and Jaymz to "Let Go" in the contemporary style- Hit or miss I would guess but I think they hit it. Very entertaining and doesn't hurt that they used a Garden State song.

8. Martha and Travis to "Just Fine" doing hip hop- Dude, booty shorts. And how did she do hip hop in those heels!? The Timberlands were ridiculous, I hate those shoes.

OK, Thanks for letting me geek out here.

4 comments:

rooroo said...

my friend alexis got me into watching this show at the auditions and i was like, is this for real? but now that they are into the competion, it's absolutely amazing, and i had to apologize for making fun of her initially. last night i was watching it and my roommate came home and she was all eyeroll-y because she saw what i was watching and i was like, "you wouldn't be rolling your eyes if you had watched it!!" the afro-cuban dance was amazing, i LOVED that tango (war of the feet or whatever?), the pop-jazz one was so exciting, and i even dug the contemporary one at the end to "let go" (love that song). i have been kind of a casual watcher but i'll be tuning in every week now. :)

Anonymous said...

Definately ready to start taking dance classes. LOVE the show! I've seen Jaymz dance a number of times in person ( he lives where I live ) and he's absolutely incredible. Beyond talented. I just wish he got more screen time. Personally, I hope dance sweeps the nation, because it's cool and something social men and women can do that is also a refinement. Not to mention romantic.

kw

www.ballroomdancenovels.com

Unknown said...

You know about me and the dance thing. 'Nuf said.

Miss Scarlet said...

roo roo- Yeah, unlike American Idol, it's the latter half of this competition that is so great. The Afro-Cuban one was seriously AMAZING!

KW- I won't deny I would gladly dance the tango with Dmitry;)

Flameon- 'nuf.