Pages

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

I Wanna Be SeDATED

I guess what I'm left wondering is, "Was my shirt unbuttoned that far during Back To School Night?"

Ooops!


If there is one trend in the teaching profession I know it is that A LOT of teachers are married. There's just something about it where they all must meet in college and decide they want summers off together so they make the walk down the aisle. And once a teacher is married, then their job is to set up any single teacher friends. The male teachers get it worse, definitely. A single male teacher in a school is like the worm dangling in the water. Anyone with a single female friend (especially if she's a teacher!) will be brought to mind to set up with said male. I've seen the effort to set up happen with friends and family and am now hoping, I think, that it does not happen to me.

So far I've gone without any attention on this front. I'm not sure if it's my (technically) substitute status or extreme quiet nature while at work, or maybe just the random, rural location of the school and lack of "going out" places. I'm okay with it though. I don't think most* teachers could handle me. I mean, I was the one leaving the parking lot tonight with the new Faint song BLARING from my car while I danced. Oh yeah, I danced!

I also think that people think I'm about 21 which is also a problem. I DO NOT look young, I look my age (26), but for some reason, people assume I am in college (undergrad.) I don't get it.

I'll keep you updated as the year goes on if anyone asks about my "status";) Maybe I'll make something up, "Oh, it's complicated...you know, with the kids and all" or "We're together at least until we get the paternity results back" or maybe "I'm dating Tom Cruise."


*MOST. Some can hang.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet it's the random, rural location of the school. And of course because all potential single male teachers are threatened by your immense grace and beauty. ;)

Miss Scarlet said...

Just to clarify, I don't want to be set up.


CIndy- It is tough being so gorgeous;)

Ant- "hot little honey" sounds good. And no, most of the male teachers here are manly men. I think the women teachers are more likely to go down the path of LAME.


I'm so freaking tired.

Frankly, Scarlett said...

Well congrats to you for managing to slip under the radar! Who'd want to go on that many blind dates anyway with the only point of commonality would be "we're both single"

And there's nothing wrong with looking young! Look at it this way, you have a few more years still before you have to start spending money on Botox!

Hehe. Hang in there, darlin!

Miss Scarlet said...

Irish Red- I'm at ambiguity age, where people know I have to be a certain age, but still guess younger.

ARebelSong- I assure you that none of the male teachers here seem "limp-wristed" at all. I mean, I don't know this for a fact or anything bc I haven't done anything inappropriate (yet), but seriously, the only teacher stereotype I have encountered is the Applique One.

Unknown said...

I can think of a couple of male teachers I can see you "hanging" with. Hahahahahaha. Oh sigh.

Miss Scarlet said...

Haha, maybe so. He IS in Scotland....maybe it's different there;)

Anonymous said...

I remember complaining about none of my friends never setting me up (I have mostly female friends and I thought a benefit of this would be them settin g me up) anyway, my friend Nancy decides to hook me up. Yes, the biggest pothead this side of the mississippi. The one and only time I've been set up.

Stay away, stay far, far away.

Undercover Mother said...

Just say, "He's in Iraq." or something. Wait. Don't say that. What if they hold an assembly to support you?

The biggest meat market I ever worked in was a newspaper. I was single then, so it was awesome. I met my husband there, then it wasn't so fun anymore. So I left. And had kids.

When telemarketers call and want me to buy something I just tell them "All of our extra money goes into our gas tank" and not one of them has ever pressed further, because thiers is, too.

Miss Scarlet said...

Spencer- yeah, I don't want to be set up. Only if it's like, with someone I already know and want to go out with, haha!

Mom Of Three- HAHA, would be hilarious if I joked about that and they had a fund raiser or something. Hahha