Pages

Monday, September 18, 2006

Soaps

In an effort to not post about how tired I am, because yes, I do know I'm not the only one, I will write about something completely random: Soap Operas.


Now that I can get home from work by 3pm and am too tired* to do anything productive, I've been tuning into good ol' Guiding Light from 3-4pm as I check email and catch up on blogs. Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays I have class at six so I also watch Oprah from 4-5pm before I leave. Without the laundry and dusting, I'm a housewife**.

There are many things to love about soap operas. I love how there are "CBS people" and "ABC Watchers"" and generally, the viewer has an allegiance to a certain channel. I am a CBS watcher and have been ever since I remember watching them with my mom when I was younger. And my mom? She's been watching CBS ever since she watched them with my grandmother. It's almost impossible to change stations unless you watch with someone else because even though the storylines progress at a snail's pace, it's tough to know everyone's back story.

When I was in college, my roommate Cara and I had a very similar schedule one year so she started watching Guiding Light at 3pm with me. I was able to give her the backstory on every character and while she often had to ask questions, she quickly caught on. So since she was so accomodating to my 3pm TV need, I started watching Passions on NBC for her at 2pm. Passions is arguably the funniest soap opera ever. There was a character for awhile named Timmy (?) who was a little person and would drink...Martimmys.

I watched both shows after college while living in Richmond when I was home during the afternoons, but of course, once I started working during the day, I stopped watching. I don't exactly miss them...believe me. They're terrible! As I've been catching up a little on Guiding Light these past couple of weeks I've started to wonder if they're trying something new on set and that would be not giving the actors their scripts until right before they say action. The acting is painful now and it really seems like they're doing ad-libbing or something.

I've rambled on long enough. Please enjoy the following Top 7.5 Greatest Things About Soap Operas!

7.5. You won't a...
7. You can go about two feet away from someone and use your normal voice and they won't be able to hear you.
6. Your house will only have one, maybe two rooms. (Less to clean!)
5. Even if you're in love with your sisters husband there is always hope.
4. Death is never as final as it sounds.
3. You can watch only Friday and Monday and never miss a thing
2. Holidays last at least an entire week.
1. Children grow up in a matter of months sometimes. The baby of today will be a teenager by Christmas.



*Haha, got it in there, didn't I?
**Except, I'm sooooo not. Wish I was, though.

9 comments:

Frankly, Scarlett said...

I'm a CBS girl! Y&R all the way, baby!

your top 7 - priceless :)

lala said...

i'm a cbs watcher, too! i used to watch with my grandmother. i remember the first episode of bold and the beautiful (which replaced capital). top that!

i always find it amazing that people can just start watching and just know what's going on.

ps, don't be j, but i went to an autograph signing at the mall once...for frank, harley's brother. is he still around? (i have a photo).

Cheryl said...

All of it true. Great list.

Miss Scarlet said...

Irish Red- OMG, I used to have such the crush on Nicholas. I loved him and Sharon together.

Lala- Frank! Whoa! I liked Bold and the Beautiful a lot for awhile. Amber was a good character at the beginning. I remember when Stephanie was homeless and shit.

Cheryl- Soaps crack me up.

Sparklebot said...

I have watched exactly 3 episodes of soap operas in my entire life and they were all in doctor's offices.

You should be ashamed of yourself ;)

audrey said...

That is so true. How can Brooke have two grown up children and not have aged a day? Wasn't it only five years ago that Bridget was running around in overalls?

hilarious.

Anonymous said...

Until recently, I didn't understand why at the supermarket they had separate magazines for CBS soaps, ABC soaps, etc. What an outdated concept!

rooroo said...

i used to watch one life to live and gh... i remember my mom having soap operas on when i was little and i was always like, "ugh, this again?" and then one day i GOT IT. for weeks i had to ask my mom who was who etc. and then i eventually passed on my knowledge to a girl i went to high school with. i miss gh but when i started working i just couldn't watch anymore. my roommate sometimes watches the soap network at night but i get so angry at the wierd stuff going on. emily and sonny? he's about 50 years older than her. ugh!

Anonymous said...

The only soap I have ever watched is Days of Our Lives. My sister and I got hooked on it one summer when we were in high school and at home all day because Mom was working and neither of us could drive yet. I used to only watch it during the summer, but still new exactly what was going on. Then, in college I had a friend who would tape it every day and we would watch it while "studying". Now the whole concept seems completely rediculous. I'd rather watch Roseanne reruns on Oxygen.