Pages

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Under The Sea

You know what makes me feel old? When Disney movies "come out of the vault." Because, for something to come out of the vault, wouldn't it need to have been in there for quite some time? More than just a few years and probably even more than a decade, right? Vaults are serious business. Especially the Disney vault where I bet all movies are cryogenetically frozen until their chosen time to be thawed out and "released."

The Little Mermaid comes out on October 3rd from the big, scary vault. With this movie I have two distinct memories:

1. Amazingly, since I cannot sing, I was in chorus in elementary school. One year we had this big performance at Crockett Park where not only did someone faint and fall off the top riser, but we sang "Under The Sea" complete with hand motions. I think I was in 4th or 5th grade which would make sense since TLM came out in 1989 (!!!) and it would have taken at least a year or so to get that sheet music back then. I also remember them burying a time capsule that year and I think our class put something in there. I can't remember what we decided to include, but the last time I was at the park I almost fell over when I realized the time capsule would be opened up soon. 15 years since we buried that thing and now it's time to be 'released from the vault'-I can't believe it! And who decided for us to open the damn thing 15 years later? Seems kind of anticlimactic to me. Wouldn't it be hilarious if someone had put The Little Mermaid in there?

2. My other memory is from Disney World when I was 13 or so. We went because my brother was graduating from Navy Bootcamp and since he was stationed in ORLANDO we decided to go. The Tower Of Terror wasn't open yet, but we did go to the "4D" ("Isn't the 4th dimension time?!") performance of The Little Mermaid complete with water vapor to go along with the live action in from of us. It was a good show. I remember really enjoying it which says a lot since I was 13 and hating life because I was on vacation with my parents;)

So yeah, The Little Mermaid on October 3rd. From the vault. Imagine how it will feel when like, Finding Nemo or Pirates of the Caribbean are released from the vault. Haha, you're going to be so old!

11 comments:

rooroo said...

that commercial makes me feel a little over the hill as well! when i was in 6th grade i got in a HUGE fight with my best friend becuase we were in choir and you could try out for a solo for the spring concert, and i sang "somewhere out there" and she sang "part of your world" and she got the solo and i didn't and i got so mad! i said it was because she acted snotty about getting a solo but i was really just jealous! everytime i hear that song it recalls such junior high drama!! haha. don't worry, we made up and are still friends. we'll probs catch the little mermaid together sometime soon, just for old times' sake! ;)

Cheryl said...

Oh they bring a movie out of the vault ever other year. It's just some marketing ploy so you'll buy it. No worries.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a fan of Disney, but I LOVE The Little Mermaid!!! In my own mind I sound amazing when I sing Part of Your World. It might be my best song.

Miss Scarlet said...

Rooroo- Haha, that's a funny story. I'm glad you're friends now, though.

Cheryl- Yeah, I know it's just marketing, but it is almost impossible to get some of these movies until they rerelease them. And it's a reminder of how old you were when they originally came out.

Cindy- I've never been one to know which movies are "Disney" and which aren't. I love Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid. Ali loves Snow White.

Pam said...

Marketing...gotta be...I'm already ol' as the hills : )

Makes me wonder what is in the 'real' vaults? Yikes!

Pink Is Neat said...

The Little Mermaid holds a special place in my heart. I love that movie!

Beakerz said...

I love when they come out of the vault...and you haven't even Seen them yet. Does that make me sound older or younger?

F it. I'm old. lol

how's teaching?

CBK said...

You know what makes me feel old? Publishing the same post three times. ;-)

Miss Scarlet said...

CBK- Well, blogger sucks, what can I say?

Miss Scarlet said...

Teaching is ok!

Unknown said...

I knew I was old the minute I heard Smashing Pumpkins being played on the classics station.