Pages

Monday, September 25, 2006

In My Place



My mom showed me this. My dad brought it home from work...you know, the man's place.

The Good Wife's Guide:

1. Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready, on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal (especially his favorite dish) is part of the warm welcome needed.

2. Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.

3. Over the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift, too. After all, catering for his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.

4. Prepare the children...Minimize all noise. Try to encourage the children to be quiet.

5. Be happy to see him.

6. Greet him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him.

7. Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first - remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.

8. Don't complain if he's late home for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through that day.

9. Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.

10. A good wife always knows her place.

13 comments:

Lucy said...

Yanno, I tend to agree with the concepts behind SOME of these ideas, but I think it goes both ways. Keeping up your appearance and wanting to look good for each other? Great idea. Giving each other a warm welcome? Great idea. Listening to the other person when they get home (and not bombarding them with problems right away)? Great idea.

Not complaining if he stays out all night? Um, not so much.

rooroo said...

haha, i agree with sparkles... some of them are at least BASED in some measure of reality. outdated, yes, but if you think about whence they came... ok. but "his topics of conversation are more important than yours," and "don't complain if he's late home for dinner or even if he stays out all night..." HA!

TooMuchCoffeeLady said...

I do agree with Sparkles, but hello, if your income is needed to support the household too, can't your husband cook once in awhile?

Anonymous said...

I don't see the problem - keep them barefoot and pregnant, that's what I say!

(Don't tell Kristen I said that)

CBK said...

I think that's supposed to be from a 1950s magazine article. It also might be a hoax (thought I heard that once).

Frankly, Scarlett said...

HAHAHAHAHA - that is a description of my personal hell.

Cringe

Sparklebot said...

Maybe if I could just master these rules, I could win myself a nice husband to worship.

minijonb said...

there has to be a blogger version of this...

- have posts up and ready by 6 am daily.

- don't complain if your readers come by late or don't come by at all.

- a good blogger always knows their place.

= ; - )

Sandra Dee said...

Oh GAW. This was floating around my office the other day, and I'll be honest, it kindof pissed me off. To think how far women have come since that day!

Pink Is Neat said...

I wear that outfit every time i bake.

Numbers 7 and 9 bother me the most. Everyone knows that girls talk more and I cannot STAND feet. ewww

Miss Scarlet said...

Sparkles Anon- Haha, yeah. The night one is pretty funny.

Rooroo- I don't want to talk to my husband about work. Yuck!

Toomuchcofflady (is that possible??)- My dad cooks a lot and they both work. It's adorable.

Spencer- I'd so be barefoot and preggers right now. Quitting working would RULE!

CBK- Hoax? no way! BACK TO THE KITCHEN!

Irish Red- Hahhaha, yeah. Definitely not a mantra for all.

Smash- I know, right!? (interrobang)

Minijonb- Haha, loves it. Write it!

Sandra dee- I'm sure some women do this. Having the choice is the important part.

Pinkisneat- Yay for the outfit! I mean, not for me.

Beakerz said...

so this is a bad thing? ;)

Miss Scarlet said...

Ant- That's hilarious. I need to drink more before driving.

Needstza- You bring home the bacon and it'll be just fine!