Pages

Friday, March 10, 2006

Danger Zone

Last night I fully realized how dangerous driving is. Let me set the scene:

It's late at night and I'm driving down a dark highway (***Alert: deer and scary killers) and I'm pretty tired (***Alert: falling asleep at the wheel and crashing). I reach over to check out different songs on my new XM radio (***Alert: veering off the road or into incoming traffic). As I settle on station 43 (Thanks, Steven), I hear my phone beep and open it up to check the email (***Alert: swerving, weaving, etc.).

This is how the scene really unfolded:

It's late at night and I'm driving down a dark highway with my eyes peeled for deer and appropriately adjusting my headlights as oncoming traffic approaches. I reach over to check out different songs on my new XM radio but realize that a small, two-way road is not the best place to fiddle with my new technology. As I keep it on station 43, I make myself wait until I am at a red light to check my email on my new phone.




So, safety won out but OH MY GOSH was it hard. Some people need will power to set down the bottle of Jack-I need will power not to check my email.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Email is a seductive beast.

Anonymous said...

I miss channel 43 :(

SD

Miss Scarlet said...

You can listen to Channel 43 anytime you want, you know.

Cheryl said...

Way to overcome it!

Miss Scarlet said...

It was hard!

Unknown said...

I love how you offered SD the use of channel 43 at any time. I chuckle silently inside.

Anonymous said...

i am so generous;)




jojo is a horrible pop singer...sings that song "let go(stop)" or something like that

Miss Scarlet said...

That anonymous comment is from me.

Miss Scarlet said...

I'm limiting my driving/interneting to short emails I can type without looking. Needless to say, all emails with lots of typos will be from me, while driving. Google will soon provide a translator, I'm sure of it.

"Scarlet Driving to Scarlet Normal"

I <3 Google!

Anthony said...

I've been trying to find an article on the BBC News website all about a woman being prosecuted for applying make-up while driving, but I can't for the life of me find it.