Pages

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Robots Are Great But Are We Ready For Them To Dance On Their Own?

Orchestra rehearsals never cease to amuse me. It used to be the interactions between me and Ali that did it but since she has moved onto to bigger and better things (RMC in Ashland, VA) I have had to find my entertainment elsewhere. We used to make faces at each other when Oboe Girl would mess up and then, instead of playing on, would stop and announce WHY she made the mistake. Ali also used to try to make me laugh when Crazy Percussionist would start laughing at his own jokes. She knew that if I laughed, I would be associated with his craziness.

Last night's rehearsal did not disappoint in the craziness. The cast of characters has altered somewhat as Crazy Bassoon Lady and her father, Crazy Percussionist have not been seen since we started this concert's music. Could it be they aren't in orchestra anymore? Has Sandy Claws answered my prayers and letters? Oh please say it's so!

Added is Stradinot, the current concertmaster who seems to think he is all that and a [whatever that saying is]. He's not, really. Ali is totally better than he is and I wish she wasn't 100 miles away or she would still be in orchestra knocking the socks off of that string section. One of my many orchestra pet peeves is when people practice during the break. It's one thing to work out sections of the music you're having trouble with, but it is not the time or place to whip out your recital pieces which are already perfected and play them loudly. It is obvious you are showing off. Do what I do and just set out your recital piece that looks like the ink jar spilled onto your stand and "work on some fingerings". This way, everyone knows you're good but 1) You aren't being obnoxious and 2) You don't really need to know how to play it because you're silently working on the fingerings.

Another addition is Mrs. Herb who I try to avoid becaue she is married to my middle school band teacher. She plays the French Horn and she isn't terrible but she constantly is talking...and loudly. Last night, during our rehearsal of Beethoven's 7th, she kept talking about when rehearsals start. But not whispering like a normal person trying to multitask during rehearsal, no, she was talking loud enough for Maestro to give her a 'look'.

I never get 'looks' but it is my goal to get Maestro to compliment me for constantly looking up. I can sense when he is going to look up from his score and always quickly memorize the end of the measure to already have my gaze raised when he looks up. I think it would be funny if I freaked him out and he thought I had the pieces all memorized. (Hey, I'm in dorkestra...I'm supposed to be a nerd!)

XO,
SVR

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the word maestro. It sounds so dramatic (much like the characters that make up your orchestra). Ha!

Miss Scarlet said...

"Maestro" is my favorite word. Our guest maestro for Carnegie Hall was from Poland and he was so sexy. We all loved him.

Unknown said...

Remember the cutie maestro from Steven's band concert? ; )

Miss Scarlet said...

Of course! I believe we had a wide array of cuties to look at that evening:)

Miss Scarlet said...

ALI! I wish you could blog more. Blog about making beds or something.

Anonymous said...

Nice post title :)
~ARC

Miss Scarlet said...

Thanks to you! I hope you don't mind I used it.