Pages

Monday, March 13, 2006

sMASH It Up

Call me crazy but I thought it was a requirement for every prebubescent* girl to play MASH as a kid, so you can see how I was flabbergasted to find out that Serena had never played the magical fortune telling game! I don't think she had even heard of it which really surprised me. I mean, it has its own wikipedia page.

Anyway, so there we were, working** in the Music department of Barnes and Noble, counting down the minutes left in our shifts, when I declared we were going to play Mash. "Play what?" she responded. So after quickly explaining the game we started the hella crazy fun that is MASH.

Now, the beauty of this game is that the participant picks three of her (or his, as I believe I've made SCD play this game in Music, too) top choices for each category and then the "fortune teller" gets to insert one choice. Now, obviously this choice should be the worst option imaginable. If I remember correctly we had such gems as skunks and mice for pets, landfills and Chernobyl for homes, and tricycles and 18-wheelers for vehicles. (Rust always being my color of choice for the fortune receiver.)

Another fun aspect of the game is picking husband choices from the pool of co-workers. Serena was pretty mad that she ended up married to "Little Jack" who is in high school especially since they were going to have 8 kids or something and that's a LOT of S-E-X with the Little Guy. However, in retaliation she entered Creepy Old Guy Coworker as one of my options and, as luck would have it, he and I were to be married. Things looked up a little when she revealed I would be an exotic dancer...a VERY wealthy exotic dancer. Hott! (However, I declared that all 10 of our kids would either be adopted or illegitimate.)

We played three rounds each I think and I've got to say our initial results were the best. Besides living in a shack, Serena got a good marriage (neither too young nor too old) and zero kids (as she wanted). I'm to be betrothed to Steven and I believe I ended up being a soundtrack producer. (Good job, S, you're better than Jim and Little Guy! Congrats!)

I love MASH!




*And by prebubescent I meant that I've played this game at all ages. MASH knows no age limits
**"Working" in its most leniant definition

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That was fun...got me dreaming of Cowboy again. As for SCD, he made a nice catch ; )

Miss Scarlet said...

Yeah, little did he know that while he was at home his future was being mapped out by MASH.

Miss Scarlet said...

Definitely a girl's game...until now!


Go play:

http://www.playmash.com/

Pink Is Neat said...

i <3 MASH! That game was the BEST! I do believe we had an entire notebook devoted to it in elementary school.

Miss Scarlet said...

Hmmmm, maybe tomorrow I'll write about Slam Books. I almost got into a fight because of one of those once.

Sparklebot said...

My friend Erin and I were playing MASH during church one day a few years back and we both got our perfect MASH games--so we had to stop, fearing that further play would negate our perfect result. I haven't played MASH since.