Pages

Friday, May 26, 2006

The Circus Is Leaving Town

The lovely Barmaid tagged me (does she know my love of all things meme?) for the List 6 Wierd Things About Myself...Honestly, this is going to be difficult and not because I'm not weird (ha!) but because I need to think of things that aren't TOO weird so you get scared and worry about me eating glue, but weird enough so this isn't a waste of time. I'm also afraid some of my things I could share would come across as OCD-like or something.

1. OK, so I couldn't really type fast until I was thrown into the IMing world that is college in 1998. I learned quickly to either type fast or go home and since the internet was fairly new to me, I was quickly obsessed with it. I'm not sure WHEN this tendency (aka OCDness?) comes out but sometimes I mentally think how a word would be typed out and sort of tap it out. Now that I think of it, I bet this could be blamed on some past jobs I had: cashier and lifeguard, both of which involve long periods of not doing much. In my boredom I think I got certain words or phrases stuck in my head and would move on to "typing" them out. I don't do it much anymore...I SWEAR!

2. Now I feel like you all think I'm crazy. Oooh yeah, I'm crazy about backwashing...or, NOT backwashing. I gave my younger sister lessons on how NOT to backwash when drinking from a bottle because when she was little she would ask for a sip but didn't realize she was doing the kid sip where 1/2 of the bottle goes in the mouth but only a tiny bit stays, the rest is mixed with saliva and goes back in the bottle-BLECH!

3. I am unable to take trash from my car inside to throw away. I only throw this trash away when I get gasoline. (Note: It's not nasty stuff, usually just tons of water bottles.) Even if I have nothing to carry inside I can not pick those bottles up to throw away inside.

4. I'm a little (a lot) obsessive about certain (a lot) TV shows. Like, I want to BE in them (not Lost though, I just want to watch that one from afar) like Friends, My So-Called Life, Alias, The O.C., etc.

5. I can't wear just 1 shirt. I always wear at least two-one is usually just one of those thin tank tops. Maybe I just want to be extra prepared in case I get stuck in an elevator for 3 days and it's stifling hot or something;)

6. Last one? Man, I could go on and on;) Ooooh, I know. If I don't know how a certain situation should go (like riding the bus in DC which I just recently did for the first time with Serena) I won't do it. Or, if I HAVE to do it, it will cause a lot of stress and anxiety. I try to avoid any situation where I will look like I don't know how something is done or don't know what's going on. I wouldn't go to a Starbucks and order something weird until I worked at one (well, I worked at Barnes and Noble but we had to start in the Cafe and believe me, I was terrified) and learned about the drinks and lingo. But I don't want it to sound like I'm scared of new things, I'm not. I like change, I do. It's usually stupid, everyday things I will stress about. I'm fine with not knowing how to do something complicated and tackling it (and succeeding!) but get takeout at a new place? send something insured at the post office? make an appointment at a new dr? NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


OK um...Please don't think I'm crazy:)


UPDATE 25 May 2006 6:55pm:

So I wrote this wicked fast earlier and now feel the need to expand upon a few things.

1. The typing thing isn't something I *have* to do at all. I don't lose control or anything like that. I really think it stemmed from learning how to type and being bored at work.

4. What I mean is that I want some of those scenes I see on TV to happen in my own life: the boiler room with Jordan Catalano, a perfect first kiss like Ross and Rachel, falling in love with a friend like Chandler and Monica, having some Seth and Summer scenes, telling off someone like Meredith Gray in the stairwell, etc.

4 comments:

minijonb said...

wow... I thought my OCD was bad... these qualities don't make you crazy, just endearing. I feel your pain when it comes to trying something new as in your last point.

Have a great weekend!

Reluctant Dater said...

good work! you crack me up. i, too, could have gone on forever. i broke the rules, even, because i couldn't limit to six!

Anonymous said...

You crazy!

Unknown said...

I can attest to the fact that Scarlet does NOT have OCD! : )