Pages

Monday, May 15, 2006

Exit Music (For A Film)

Serena and I were just discussing series finales and how we want our favorite shows to end. The most immediate is Alias where if anything but SydneyAndVaugh together 4 eva doesn't happen, we're finding JJ Abrams and the writers and burning down their houses*. I used other shows as examples of the writers doing what is right and ending a show correctly: Friends (Ross/Rachel), Dawson's Creek (Pacey/Joey), Sex and the City (Carrie/Big-although I didn't want that until the very end). Can you think of a show where the series ending just sucked? And not the ones that got cancelled and have no resolution or real ending (My So-Called Life, American Dreams, Freaks & Geeks-even though I haven't gotten to the end yet). I can't remember how 90210 ended (Can't believe I'm admitting that) or Full House (!!) or Felicity even.

But the point of this wasn't to discuss awesome TV shows**...My hazy, early-morning thought process led me to wondering what my own "finale" would be. Not in the morbid sense as I'm realizing it sounds but just if I had writers and producers, what would they have in store for me. What is in the works to up ratings of Scarlet. It's May sweeps, people! Noone wants to watch as I go to work every day and then go home to watch TV and play the bassoon, maybe throw in a trip to Starbucks*** here and there. Maybe the viewers are hoping for a romance, do they see something they want to blossom? Are there polls to see what should happen with me? Wouldn't it be funny if my life were in fact a TV show? A la The Truman Show or that one on MTV where they caught people singing along to music in the car. My sister and I, when we're at our goofiest and cracking up, always say that we must be on a reality show. Our moments in the car, driving somewhere, are just too good to waste on just us. Every once and awhile, one of us will say, "REALITY SHOW!" and then we both crack up, thinking about our imaginary viewers constantly being entertained by us (Ha, remember EdTV?) and laughing along.

So what do the viewers want? What's in the coming weeks for Scarlet? I was thinking about common season finale events:

Love/Romance:
-A marriage of some sort, usually eloping or going to Vegas-nothing really planned
-Someone professes love
-A pregnancy-But who is the baby's daddy!?


Job Related:

-A job offer which would require a move
-The main character sleeps with his/her boss/higher up


Friend/Family Related:
-One of the above happens to a friend/family member and it directly affects the main character(s)
-A long lost sibling/biological parent/wealthy, dying aunt enters the picture


So, writers and producers, what is in store for me? Anything crazy in the works? Let's make things exciting!



*OK, I always worry when I say things like that because what if someone does burn their houses down and some bored detective on the case googles: "Burn JJ Abrams house down" and gets this blog and practically has some premeditated plan? Grrreat! I HAVE AN ALIBI, DAMMIT!
**OK it is, a little
***I am accepting sponsors.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

It's funny you say that because I was just thinking about what it must be like to actually be an actress and get vested in your character. I kept thinking if I were Lauren Graham as Lorelai I would have fought having to sleep with Christopher and mess up my relationship with Luke!

As for what's coming up for your May sweeps...I don't really want you preggers but am thinking a profession of love by maybe a higher up would be nice. Or maybe a Scottish cousin who no one informed you of mysteriously dies and leaves you his estate in Scotland.

dara said...

Flameon, I still can't talk about the Gilmore Girls season finale. And I don't even like Luke all that much!!! But yeah, if I were Lauren Graham, I'd have protested making my character do something that stupid.

And Scarlet, I agree -- there are certain endings for certain couples that are just predestined. Like Grey's Anatomy. But if I were planning my season finale, I'd be hoping to win lotto and with the proceeds, leave on a fabulous trek around the globe. That would make next season way more interesting.

Amy said...

I don't watch tv. But I wanted to tell you that I still have no idea about what kind of music my cousins play, because R. and I got stuck at JFK until 3 AM Friday. Boston Sux.

Shannon said...

you forgot the ubiquitous shooting!

Miss Scarlet said...

Flamon- I would definitely become invested in my character. I get invested in OTHER people's characters! I think that's why I hated it when Michael Vartan was like, "it's JUST a TV Show!" I only want to be preggers if I have a hubby, too;) The Scottish idea sounds awesome though!

Dara- lottery! def an idea!

Amy- NO TV? But why? Not even The Simpsons? hehe

Ant- You never know! Haven't they caught people who blogged about crimes before?

Shannon- I left off a few I don't want to happen under any circumstance: deaths and major injuries. I was feeling superstitious and didn't want to type those!