Pages

Thursday, May 11, 2006

The City Is Here For You To Use

A few people lately have written about their love of living in the city and how they were meant to live there. From the time I even knew what a city was and realized I was NOT living in one, I knew that I would one day reside in a "concrete jungle." I had not even been to New York City yet when I declared my love for it and stated that I would move there after college. Noone doubted me and after visiting for the first time (when I was 21! can you believe it took that long?) I knew my mind and body were meant to be there.

After college I moved to Richmond which, although a gazillion times smaller than NYC, was a vast improvement from the 2 stoplight town* I grew up in. I lived there for almost two years and while I love Richmond, it wasn't enough "cityness" for me. I lived in The Fan which is cute and all but for the most part all residential. I wanted to be able to walk a block or two to Starbucks or ride the subway** down to The Gap. It's not like that though (at least where I lived). Sure, I was spoiled by having Sticky Rice*** two blocks away but what about my daily caffeine needs!?

Anyway, Fast forward to now when I'm having the great Country Mouse Vs. City Mouse debate. I'm not moving anytime soon, or at least until I finish Grad School, but I constantly think about it. I still absolutely love cities and know I would be super content to live in one (Dc? Philly? Chicago? NYC?) but part of me is so in love with small towns. The Stars Hollows of the world, if you will. And before you laugh and think I'm crazy, they are out there. Warrenton is one of them. It has an amazingly cute and charming downtown. I always go home via Main Street even though it's not the fastest way. I can picture myself living in one of those side street houses and walking to Main Street to get coffee and a bite to eat from a Cafe. It is so damn charming! I am in love with it. And take me to a town like Warrenton that is in Connecticut? Where the winters are cold and I'm a train ride from NYC? I think my elation meter would be off the charts.

I want to live somewhere where the trees change color in the fall, it snows and is cold in the winter, the summers aren't absolutely miserable and the springs are chilly enough to warrant a jacket. I want to live somewhere where I can walk and get food/coffee but also am not a trek away from good stores. I want to be close enough to a city that I can go there for the day/night without necessarily packing an overnight bag or having to get up at the crack of dawn. I want a Starbucks AND an independent coffee shop. I want wifi. I want there to be a library with a fountain out front. I want a bakery that makes whole grain bread and sugary cakes. I want to be close enough to the ocean that I can get there without having to fly or drive more than 5 hours. I would prefer to live near a pier to keep my boat. I want to be able to go skiing in the winter and swimming in the summer. I want to wear a lot of cashmere. I want to have a puppy named Calculus. I want to live near a symphony (preferably one I play in). I want to live near a music venue.

OMG I'm so excited, I want to live there NOW!





*It's not so much a town but an intersection and although I did spend most of my growing up time there, I consider myself from Norther VA since I'm so not a country bumpkin and was going to DC before I could even walk.
**Richmond's only public transportation is the bus. I'm not the biggest fan of busses (I refuse to spell that "buses", it looks stupid)
***Most amazing sushi ever! AND TOTS! But those asshats wouldn't let us in on Monday. Ugh!

11 comments:

CBK said...

You need to go to Maine! Waterville, maybe Belfast. There are probably a lot of towns that would work for you. It's your density, I mean destiny!

Shannon said...

Boston.
That's where you should be,
Maine is really great but not as urban as you want....

Cheryl said...

It's so interesting to get other people's takes on this idea.

Pink Is Neat said...

Move to Germany. It's got all of those things and more.

Anthony said...

Oh, I say Edinburgh or Vienna - both of them small capital cities (compared to most) and with an air of modesty to them despite their cultural importance.

I suspect the former has some appeal already!

Roonie said...

You're in luck! DC is a small big city. Cozy (little enough) and bustling (big enough).

Miss Scarlet said...

CBK: I've wanted to go to Maine...I've never been up that far but I can't wait to get back to New England!

Shannon: Isn't Boston ass expensive? I want to go there, too, though.

Cheryl: I know! And I added your link, I knew I had forgotten something;)

Happily: Yes but I don't speak German.

Anthony/Tony: I'm trying to get my sister to study abroad there and I'll be her roommate!

Ant: I could totally see myself in Glasgow!

Roonie: Yes, I <3 DC! I do wish the metros ran all night though...

Unknown said...

A dilemma near and dear to my heart. I need to check out San Francisco because of all the fab things I hear about it. I am so not a California girl, though. I say go with our Scotland plan (*wink* meeting and befriending you-know-who for me).

Mindi said...

I struggle with the same thing. I think no matter what you should push yourself to try something new at some point. For me that probably means exploring "main street" instead of Broadway!

Sparklebot said...

One word: Shaw. We could be neighbors.

minijonb said...

Here are two cities that might fit your criteria: Portland, OR and Grand Rapids, MI. Portland might be too west coast with rainy weather and Grand Rapids might be a little too small and conservative, but both have compeling positives.

I just found your blog... love it! Your taste in music rocks. Nice Futureheads reference in the title of this post.