Pages

Thursday, May 25, 2006

We Are The Sleepyheads

For awhile I have been doing this trick where I set my alarm for wicked early (like 4am) so that I feel like I'm getting to sleep more. At first I was trying to time it for the recommended 90 minute REM cycle but now I just set it for "ass early". I am now convinced this trick works though. I guess after setting my alarm last night, I forgot to turn it ON (oops) but miraculously, this morning I woke up at 6:57am which gave me just enough time to arrive to work my usual 15 minutes late.

But holy hell, I am seriously tired. I've got that dehydrated, eyes-hurting, groggy to the max feeling like I used to always have when I was working during the week at Barnes and Noble and getting home at 1am a few nights a week.

Caffeine won't help. I know my body and if I were to drink soda right now my teeth would hurt and if I drink coffee and just sit here, I won't feel more awake but WILL feel gross. HA, I just remembered part of my dream where someone was making fun of people who drink water to stay awake and I sheepishly said that I do that. Then, later on in my dream I was drying my hair and for some reason threw the dryer in water then asked if I should pick it up-weird.

Anyway, this is my "I'm so tired I can't think post"...maybe if I wake up I'll do more;) Oh, and praise Allah for the 3 day weekend!!!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to do that--set my alarm super early, so I could feel like I was getting bonus sleep. The body is so funny--whatever routine you set for it, it'll follow like clockwork.

Ashburnite said...

see...I can't do that with the alarm- it takes me forever to fall back to sleep. luckily, I am a heavy sleeper (for the most part).

Miss Scarlet said...

Bettyjoan- I need to test it out somemore to see if waking up messes me up but today I am STRUGGLING.

Ashburnite- It takes me awhile to fast asleep at night (it used to be REALLY bad and I would lay there for hours) but as long as I'm comfortable and warm and in that "groggy-just woke up" state, I can fall asleep easily in the middle of the night. Every so often though, I wake up at 530 or 600 and feel WIDE AWAKE and know I SHOULD get up but I so don't.

Cheryl said...

I drink water to stay awake too. Good luck getting through the day.

Anonymous said...

See my trick is that I leave my window open and either birds or the garbage truck wake me up!

Anonymous said...

Great post title. I love that song!!
~ARC

dara said...

I was tired all day too, but I think that was because of being on travel. I think airplanes make me more tired.

Michelle at Hey Love Designs said...

I haven't tried setting up my alarm to wake me up super early, but I do set it so that I get at least 4 or 5 snoozes is. How sad is that we can train our bodies to wake up, fall asleep, then wake up again, but not to wake up the first time?

I'm not big on coffee or soda either for caffeine. If I am ever that tired that I need coffee, NO amount of caffeine will help.

Unknown said...

I always set my alarm ass early. In fact, since I'm the queen of too little sleep, I have two alarms on different sides of the room set for 5 am and an automatic wake-up call for 5 am every morning, too. Actual time out of bed after disarming all of these things? 5:30 am.