Pages

Monday, May 08, 2006

Demon Days

Starbucks may run through my blood but I never say no to free coffee. Today I got my free drink after previously buying 9 at the little coffee kiosk near my job. This free grande (their large, gotta make things difficult, eh?) nonfat white mocha (with whip, duh) is going to be the catalyst for a good day. It's the little things that can turn an increasingly bad Monday morning around.

First, I wake up in what must have been the middle of whatever part of sleep is most important for feeling rested because my body was NOT happy to hear the alarm at that point. Just five more minutes-Please!

Then I can't find ANYTHING I want to wear and am having the pressure of trying to find something comfortable AND hott since I'm going to Richmond tonight to have sushi with Ali (the sister). I gave up on that though and will just have to change when I get home.

Then, on my way to get my coffee my gas light comes on. Not getting gas before my gas light comes on is maybe my worst habit. When I first got my car I was so good about never letting it go under the halfway point but now, with wicked high gas prices and my lack of punctuality when it comes to work, I have developed the bad habit of waiting until the light comes on. Tsk Tsk.

At the first pump, though, it didn't work and with the minutes ticking by I pulled around to another to be greeted with the message, "Sale Declined" after putting my check card in. Ouch! Thank goodness I had another card with me or I would have been SOL with no gas and no money. But why was my sale declined? My first thought was that I had overdrafted on my checking account somehow which is NOT the best thought on an early Monday morning.

I was slowly slipping into a horrible mood on my way to work and decided free coffee was definitely still on the agenda whether or not I was going to be 15 minutes late to work. But being 15 minutes late ended up being the only real bad thing this morning (and really, it's more of a shock around here if I manage to get here on time or *gasp* early.) I didn't overdraft! Must have declined the sale because I tried to run the card after the faulty pump try. And I have free coffee...


Coffee. The Good Day Catalyst.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

I knew I had a caffeine problem in college when I thought, "Hey, they should totally have a form of caffeine that you could just inject into yourself. That way, I could cut back on caffeine-related calories." Then I realized that coffee would literally be like crack at that point and that I would miss out on all the lovely tastingness of my coffee drinks. I later discovered I would rather spend money on coffee than on food. It was a sad realization...

Cheryl said...

I hope you day just got better after that. Mmmm...coffee.

Unknown said...

I found coffee gum from Wrigley's in NH. I swear it tastes just like coffee.

Miss Scarlet said...

I have that coffee gum...It's...different.