Pages

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Love Cats

Love Cats by The Cure came on XM last night and it reminded me of one of the things I miss most about college*, WMWC. I guess it was the first half of my sophmore year when my friend and I auditioned for a show. Not knowing the station was actually pretty lax, I was really nervous for our on-air try. I remember putting on a song from the Red Hot Chili Peppers Californication that was on the play list and introducing it by talking about their tour. I thought that was going to show I knew what I was talking about;) Then we had to play a record and I picked one up randomly, which turned out to be wicked long and pretty bad. We got the show, of course, and for the rest of the year it was The Violet And Scarlet Show where we played unoriginal music and flirted with guys from another show (who we later learned were gay.)

The next semester, I did the show by myself because my friend couldn't and I was already hooked. Junior year I think I did it by myself the first half of the year and then teamed up with Brian for Sunday evenings for the spring. We teamed up thinking we would split the two hours, but after a couple of weeks of that, we began doing the show together and would have guests all the time. Usually our other friend, Brian who would be obnoxious on air, but sometimes Ben and/or Andy who had the show before ours and were both in bands. Brian and I were big fans of ALL/Descendents so about 40% of the shows were either of those bands or another band they were associated with. And I think I made him play Bad Astronaut's cover of Needle In The Hay every week.

Senior year I signed up alone, but then Vanessa would come hang out with me and we started having our Hour Of Dedication shows. These were AMAZING and another day I will post some of our track lists. I have every show I ever did on tape and while I don't listen to them much anymore, it would still make me nostalgic to hear the voices and song choices that would come up.

And why did I title this Love Cats and why did the song remind me of my show? Because my last year there, I was blaring Love Cats from the station and these two guys came up to tell me how cool it was that I was playing that song. They scared the crap out of me, but it was still pretty cool.


This is wicked long. Oooops!



XO,
SVR







*I am not one of those people to sit around missing college. I don't miss college. I parts of it, like All-Day Breakfast, Orchestra, living within walking distance of all my friends, care packages, etc. I do not miss classes, work, roommates, or haunted dorm rooms.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow... great post.

it reminded me of my high school / summer camp / college DJ experiences. if i hear any old Cheap Trick or REM song, i remember those days.

Miss Scarlet said...

I need to dig up my old tapes:)

Anonymous said...

awh I miss my beloved WCWM too!
I was thinking that one of these days, when I actually have time to do something cool, I'll do a podcast to get back into the swing of things. It will be awesome!

Anonymous said...

I can see you being an utterly awesome DJ... :o)

Anonymous said...

I think having a radio show is cool : )

Senor Beavis said...

Yeah, that sounds crazy fun. I used to try to help pick out songs for my sophomore year roommates' show. But our school didn't have an off-campus signal and you couldn't even get it on-campus. I wonder if it's still there.

I once "scored music points" with a former Starbucks co-worker by answering that my favorite Cure song is "Jumping Someone Else's Train."

Miss Scarlet said...

Courtney- Yeah, I miss my radio show. It was so much fun...even if hardly anyone heard it.

Ant- I think I was pretty cool:) One time my friend and I played La Macarena until someone called in, haha. Oh, actually, I need to post about this other funny time...

Serena- Yeah, I'm so glad I did it.

Senor Beavis- V. cool.