Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

You Were Meant For Me

When I first listen to a song, I hear the music first and for multiple listens after that, I continue to pay the most attention to the sound of it. Only after many listens do I focus in on the lyrics*. Sometimes they mean nothing to me, but on certaiin occasions the song gets that much better after knowing what it's about. The following is my on-going list of songs that mean a lot to me:


"Today" by The Smashing Pumpkins


Pink ribbon scars
That never forget
I tried so hard
To cleanse these regrets
My angel wings
Were bruised and restrained
My belly stings




"Black" by Pearl Jam

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a sun
In somebody else's sky, but why
Why, why can't it be, why can't it be mine



"4am" by Our Lady Peace

If I don't make it known that

I've loved you all along
just like the sunny days that
we ignore because
we're all dumb & jaded
and I hope to God I figure out
what's wrong



"Clark Gable" by The Postal Service


The marker snapped

And I yelled, "Quiet on the set!"
And then called, "Action!"
And I kissed you in a style
Clark Gable would have admired
(I thought it classic)




To be cont.


*And seriously? Finding these lyrics online now is showing me how I so often sing the wrong words to songs. GAH!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You know "Today" is my all-time favorite song, and I credit you with introducing me to the wonders of "Clark Gable." Sigh.

Open Grove Claudia said...

I'm particularly fond of "Breath" by Breaking Benjamin. I just got that album and like it a lot. Although I like the songs you mentioned as well.

minijonb said...

I always sing the wrong lyrics. One of my current favorite songs is Anti-Anti by Snowden. I always sing along to it with "gettin' down in the town that makes no sense" but the lyric is really "gettin' down in the town that makes no sound" ...oh well, it still sounds great.