Pages

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Century After Century

Yesterday, after doing a little* googling of Scottish surnames, I started trying to find the evidence of my lineage on my dad's side. I know it's there because my grandfather spent a lot of time tracing back in order to get him and my dad into the Sons of the American Revolution. In 9th grade, we had to do our big "I Search" project where we researched something and gave a big report on it. I, being ever so resoursceful, chose to "research" my genealogy with a focus on my dad's side. Yes, that's right, the research was already done for me and all I had to do was keep a log of my "progress." I'm so proud of little 9th grade me, getting away with doing as little work possible and getting a kick ass grade for the "obvious" dedication I had to trace my family back to their coming here from Scotland in the mid-1700s. And really, if you think about it? How would a 15 year old with no internet (this was 1995, folks, I didn't even have a word processor then!) access have such success to trace her roots that far back? Anyway...

I was excited yesterday to be reminded, though, of all of the things I had learned about my dad's side of the family. I even found my dad's name on his chapter's SAR registry. That really made me giggle since my dad, bless his heart, is the least computer savvy person ever and there he is, with his name on the internet. I also found my granpap's cemetery online which is a little morbid, but since it's been almost 15 years since he died, it's not that weird. That's his second wife on the tombstone. I never met her and also never met my dad's mom because she died when he was about 12, I think. I don't like to think about that too much, though, because my way too senstive side will make me sad. I really want to be unorthodox and pass on my family name to at least one of my kids. I don't like the thought of the Roses ending at me and my sister just because we're chicks.

OK, but enough with the depressing stuff. So William Pringle is the dude that came over here from Scotland and got busy making babies that 6 generations later led to the gorgeous being that is SVR. I'm not sure when the Rose name popped in there, but I've seen some evidence that that part is Scottish, as well. I know my mom's side is from Wales and I've always liked to assume there is a bit Russian and Greek in there, too, just for fun and to explain my random love for all things Russian and my dark hair and (sometimes) olive-y skin**.



*A LOT
**Not as much now that I am holed up in an office all day.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are definitely dedicated to your ancestry : ) I'm too much of a mutt.

Btw, you were cracking me up yesterday.

CBK said...

How very awesome that a great Scottish band has such an appropriate song title in their catalog!

I love it when you use Idlewild titles!

Miss Scarlet said...

Serena- haha, dedicated sounds so "nice" and not "psychotic"-thanks!

Arebelsong- Did you really? haha!

Ant- I'm not sure where, that's my next step.

CBK- And I love it when you know them!