Pages

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Sound Of Settling

"He/She's set in her ways" is one of my favorite things to hear. It's the nice way of calling someone obstinate and/or crazy. I also find it fascinating to realize how other people do things and how they are different than my own ways. Sometimes when I watch someone do something in some strange way, all I can think is how insane they are and that their parents obviously messed up when raising them. Usually, though, I remind myself that we are shaped by many different things and there are various ways to do anything and our preferences are just that-not the absolute, it's just what we prefer over something else.

For instance, the other day I said to Serena how it's a pet peeve of mine when Starbucks hands out their long straws for a short drink. In my opinion, those long straws are worthless and if it's give to me, I try to find scissors to cut it. Serena commented how she actually prefers the longer straws. For a split second I was convinced she was raised on the moon, but quickly realized that liking the mile-long straw over the appropriately sized one isn't conclusive evidence.

I'm a big fan of Wawa type stores including Sheetz and Eastcoast* and almost always** stop there to fill my car up with gasoline. So when I'm with someone else and they go to some random, rinky-dink place? I don't get it. I'm left sitting there wondering we aren't at the mecca of all convenience stores: Wawa. It can make sense not to go there, though, since they are often crowded. To each their own, eh?

What else? Oh! Haha, this one was funny. Last year I invited some friends to go to The OC with me and at one point it was me, Ali, Vanessa, Serena, and Allie. (Saying we're all different would be the underestimate of the year.) Anyway, at one point, Allie said how she really wanted Dairy Queen ice cream and how she loves it there. Now, I'm a big DQ fan myself, especially since my town FINALLY got one, but Ali and I just looked at each other, flabbergasted. Since we can remember we ALWAYS get our beach ice cream from Dumser's Dairyland. Going somewhere else would be sacrilegious. It would be like getting boardwalk fries from somewhere other than Thrashers! It would be like going South on 495 on the way there-you just DON'T do it! It's what I've done every year of my life. The behavior is ingrained in me.

A guy I work with*** was telling me about how when he and his wife were first married they fought over the stupidest things: rolling vs. squeezing the toothpaste, folding vs. scrunching socks for the drawer. Surprisingly, the toothpaste tube roller is NOT the sock folder. I know, I know...weird! Anyway, it definitely got me thinking to someday having to mesh my 'ways' with someone else's. To be honest, I hope they don't think I'm crazy and can love me more for my quirky ways and idiosyncrasies.


*Hey, it's where you mom would stop!
**When my gas light comes on, I'll stop anywhere!
***Two more days people, two more days!

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Hahahaha. Being raised on the moon would have been cool ; ) I hear you on wanting to find someone who understands or tolerates our idiosyncrasies though.

dara said...

Your married guy co-worker note reminded me that once, I had an argument with an ex about whether the toilet paper went over or under the roll -- he was very set in his ways. In the middle of the fight, I started laughing, because I couldn't believe people fought over that kind of stuff.

I think when you're with someone you learn to compromise on your idiosyncracies -- or, at least, you learn what you can't compromise on.

lala said...

you like the small straws even when you get a venti drink? or straw size is dependant on cup size?

i HATE it when guests squeeze toothpaste from the middle. OR when they change the direction of MY toilet paper.

and everything in the closet has to face the same direction and do not even think about putting the hanger on the bar any way you feel like (this is an idiosycracy back from roommate days. thank god i now live alone).

Anonymous said...

I had had 1 roommate for a total of 1 year before Kristen moved in (when I was 35) - I knew from that one year that I'm an obstinate person, but living with someone - especially someone that shares the bed with you - is work. They have their ways, you have yours. Of course you find ways of avoiding the arguments - for instance - we buy those stand-up toothpaste dispensers now. Now arguments there.

I know what you mean about Wawa though - here it's the only real option - but I cringe when someone pulls into 7-11 when there's a Wawa so close. I can't understand why anyone would buy a hoagie from Subway when you can just go to Wawa. etc. etc.

Miss Scarlet said...

Serena- Is it weird I prefer plastic utensils over regular? (Note: I don't always use plastic, I do know it's bad for the environment.)

Dara- The TP goes OVER, duh. Unless you have a cat.

Lala- I always like the short straws, but long ones should ONLY be used with a venti cup with a dome lid.

Spencer- I KNOW! Wawa is far superior.

Anonymous said...

so true so true. it's amazing people are able to interact at all, much less form friendships. we are all soooo fricken weird

Anonymous said...

1. I HATE the long straw too, Scarlet. I usually give it back and ask for a short one (which of course gets odd looks and probably some whispering, but that's the way it goes...)

2. I have TWO cats, but the toilet paper still must go over. (All though it is pretty funny to walk in and see the entire roll unravelled with your cat sitting in the pile of paper looking like she's just had the greatest 20 minutes of her life.

3. My biggest pet peeve is people who don't rinse off the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. I know...it's a dishwasher, so why should you have to wash them yourselves first? But I can't stand it.

Miss Scarlet said...

Connie- I keep a lot of my weird ways to myself;)

Cindy- Haha, I love that you give it back!

Anonymous said...

Oh I miss the Wawa! I used to live in New Jersey and I went there EVERYday for something.

KassyK said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
KassyK said...

Great post...I love Wawa too and also 7-11 and never understood the appeal of the other rinky dinky places except for the fact that the people that probably are running the random places are usually working the shop themselves and hence we SHOULD frequent their places more. Oy, babblefest again, sorry.

My ex and I did SO many things differently that its amazing we lasted 6 1/2 years...when you love someone and it all clicks--I promise you will mesh and it will be amazing. :-)

11:05 PM

Pink Is Neat said...

oh man that long straw thing pisses me off too. It's even almost too big for the Venti cup!!
I feel like I'm 9 and linking straws together so i can drink while sitting on the couch and the cup's on the table in front of me.

Also, I would have been open to new ice cream experiences; i have never been disappointed by Dairy Queen, therefore i will always crave that over any other frozen dairy product.

Anonymous said...

Well now I'm curious. Why was that comment deleted?!?!?! And who deleted it? The author of the comment or the author of the blog????

Pam said...

Well, one day your life partner might think you're crazy or that you were born on another planet...or both? Either way, if the differences give you a chuckle rather than an irritation...that's gonna be a happy union!

Miss Scarlet said...

Cindy, I'll have to check my records;)