Pages

Monday, August 21, 2006

Sexyback

Ever since the top four danced to Justin Timberlake's "Sexyback" on So You Think You Can Dance? and had the fashion theme going on, I equate the two. Sexyback=Fashion

August is prime fashion time for me as the September issues of the magazines really kick into their reporting on what is "in" for the Fall and I get super excited about wearing layers and jeans and scarves. I love the change from late summer to fall when the mornings and nights have that chill in the air and I can break out my jean jacket that will never go out of style. Jeans, long-sleeved shirts, and flip flops-what could be better than that?*

The following are the distinct trends that have emerged from the magazines and fashion world for the fall. While my income/budget does not allow me to yet overall my wardrobe in anticipation, I do still get excited for the new seasons.

1. Red. Red is not the new black as black will never be replaced in my opinion, but I am ecstatic that one of my favorite colors has emerged yet again for the fall.

2. Tartan/Plaid. If I really wanted to embrace my psychotic self and Scottish ancestry, I would find the appropriate tartan...but I'm going to resist being psychotic. Besides, I have too many Scottish readers who may call me out on my delusions. I think I am going to try to find a plaid-type scarf, I think that would be cute.

3. Chains. No more big beads, although that's a trend I never took part of because it's hard for me to spend a lot of money on accessories.

4. Layers. Isn't this always in style when the weather gets colder? I love layering and do it year-round.

5. Mini skirts. A tough one to do if you have a job requiring more modest clothes and/or don't want to do the leggings/thick tights thing.


OK, that's about all. Anything else is really something I don't really see myself participating in. I can't do the platform heels (tooooo talllll! and I have to stand all day), leopard prints are a maybe, but only in accessories, I think, no skinny jeans and probably no huge, wide-legged pants. And, of course, there are other trends emerging for the fall, but I just wanted to cover the basics. The easy basics.


Happy Shopping!





*OK, ok. Jeans, boots, cashmere sweaters, coats and scarves would be better, but we're still a few months away from that so I'm trying to be positive here.

7 comments:

minijonb said...

oooh! you said "Mini skirts" =;-)

if you need some inspiration, you can make your own tartan pattern online.

Miss Scarlet said...

Minijonb- That was fun!


And as an update, I have now gone geneology crazy and have been googling relatives all morning.

Alison Santighian said...

Scarlet, in my own personal opinion, I think you've hit the nail on the head with your seasonal observations. Especially on the layering piece - made me smile.

And on red, I'm right there with you. So much so that I might just high-tail it back to Ann Taylor (yeah, yeah, a collective gasp! from the fashionista crowd) to replace a favorite red bouclé suit.

Miss Scarlet said...

I couldn't correct my genealogy spelling bc I hit post too soon.


DCCeline- Red works like a natural color for me. I'm excited to wear a lot of it this fall.

Unknown said...

You should make copies of your anthropologie catalog before you leave and pass out to your friends.

Miss Scarlet said...

Serena- I like that idea!

Anonymous said...

Although I enjoy the winter fashions, and being able to wear sweaters (and I'll be able to break out my favorite pair of green courderoy pants) I usually end up spending all my time in hooded sweatshirts.

In regards to your JT mention...I saw him in an interview on MTV the other day. The guy interviewing him said something about his new album sounding a lot like Prince. Everyone said on his last album that he was trying to copy Michael Jackson. I love all things JT, but I wonder if he is emulating his idols on purpose, if it just happens naturally, or if these music people are just always trying to compare new things to what we've heard in the past, instead of just letting it be. I guess we'll have to see when the album hits stores...I know one thing...I can't wait!