Pages

Monday, April 24, 2006

Monday Night Nothing

There are few things I really dread. Here are some:

1. When I have to make a phone call and be "adult" and mean. (Some would say I dread all phone calls but I don't really. I especially hate phone calls where I have the potential to sound stupid. Or when I have to be "adult"?)
2. Covering phones at work. We are "in between receptionists" so about eight of us have to rotate with sitting at the front desk. It's pretty much my worst nightmare of having constant phone calls and walk-ins and half are not in the language I know (which is fine, just that I can't understand them and I feel bad and frustrated.)
2.a. People constantly walking by and talking to me. Unnecessary talking is one of my pet peeves.

2.b. Having to run around and ask 49230 people 4932049320432.34 questions because I don't know how things go down here.

3. Paying large bills
3.a. Paying large bills that aren't my fault and shouldn't be mine at all

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I enjoy your use of a's and b's after the number, so that the list doesn't look so long?

Start hanging up on all the calls and they will yank you off the phones real fast. Feign incompetence. It worked for our receptionist for 7 years.

Cheryl said...

I dread phone calls too. And when I h ave to cover for the receptionists at work, it gets me near tears. I hear you on all of this. Bills you didn't create? That is so not fair!

Miss Scarlet said...

Velvet- Sucking at the front desk has long been a plan of mine. I'm afraid it won't work though. I make sure to transfer ANYTHING I don't understand as to bother as many people as possible in hopes they complain about me answering phones.

Ant- Why can't people just be quiet?

Cheryl- I'm currently fighting a crappy bill!

Stef said...

Hey - thanks for stopping by! Good luck with that phone duty. I used to get total anxiety about our switchboard at my old job, and I feigned technological incompetence so that I never had to do the phones myself!