Pages

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Where You Come From

Tonight, in my class, I found out that the girl with the hint of an accent who I just thought was pretentious is actually from Scotland*! She moved here three years ago but that is all the information I got because my questions went unanswered as other people talked over me with stupid questions about living in America. It took a lot to remain calm (and normal) and not jump over the desks to pull a Ghost and become this girl from the motherland, er Scotland. If my life were a movie there would have been the quick montage of me in Scotland and then the scene would spiral out of control and with a jolt I would wake up and be back in class. None of that happened though. I stayed in my seat, didn't fall asleep, and bit my tongue from being "that girl" in the class who got all weird about someone being from Scotland.




*Scottish accents don't sound pretentious. It sounds like she's trying not to have an accent so it comes out sounding like Madonna a little.

7 comments:

Sparklebot said...

Based on a catalogue of bad experiences with foreign roommates in college, I can no longer trust anyone with an accent. It's unfortunate, but true.

Oh, and once I knew a girl who tried to fake an accent and she would tell people she was "from" Australia, but really, her parents had moved there while she was in college and she had only been there to visit 2 or 3 times. But, she was "from" there with her badly faked accent.

audrey said...

I *hate* when people fake accents. I'm from Adelaide in Australia which is a merry land of desperate youths struggling desperately to get out of what is a desperately old town. Consequently, they are each more 'artier' than the next. Mostly this just means they wear lots of black tight jeans and ride bikes with flags on the back, but a school of them have also incorporated weird American twangs into their vocal stylings. The most annoying thing is when I ask them if they think they've picked up their accent from watching too much TV and they're all like, "Oh I don't watch TV.'

Unknown said...

I'm just proud of you for not jumping her!

Miss Scarlet said...

Smash- Yeah at first I thought she was pulling the "I was born there so I'm from there" routine which is tough to pull off. But turns out she really is from there. Not sure what's up with the accent though.

Audrey- Your description of the people is hilarious!

Flameon- If she had been a guy, I would have.

Anthony said...

Presumably there's nothing stopping you from befriending her outside class ...

Cheryl said...

She should just own her accent. Scottish accents can be charming, but when accents sound fake, you sound like Madonna, and that could come off as pretentious...I can see it.

Miss Scarlet said...

Anthony/Tony- Only that she'll think I'm insane.

Cheryl- I'd totally own my accent if it was cool!