Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

I'll Be Good For You

In book news I drew a picture of a flower yesterday and left it on a stranger's car. I don't have any money to buy real flowers and by the time I had free time it was like 9pm and too late to try to find flower AND a stranger, etc. Today I was supposed to boycott something that hasn't been boycotted before-I chose the front row. So tonight, at my orientation, I sat in the very back row. Then, for the tech training I sat in the middle row (only because I was trying to make an effort and was probably already labeled, "That girl on the cellphone.")

I felt bad when I stopped by my house for pizza and Gilmore Girls (!!!) because my parents were asking me about my classes or something and I guess it came off that I didn't want to tell them about it. But what they didn't understand is that I don't really like talking about it with anyone, not just them. I explained that talking about it only reminds me of the work I will soon have to do and I am not looking forward to it. I tried to make an effort by showing them my new student ID but they didn't see it as the big gesture I meant it to be. I was trying to say (without words, of course), "Here, I am showing you something that is a part of what you are interested in because I don't really want to talk about the real part." (I am insane, I know.) The gesture I would be happy to receive in return would be something involving money, to help pay for it. Ha!

Speaking of gestures, it's interesting how relationships with people are influenced by the gestures from each side. I like to think I am perceptive to my surroundings and notice the little things that go on. This is a blessing and a curse at the same time. I can foresee a situation and be prepared for it based on piecing together the little clues but on the flip-side, I tend to think small (and most likely, unintentional) gestures mean more than they probably do. This usually is a situation that arises with the opposite sex since their intentions are more often less obvious. With a female, it's much more limited...do they want to be friends? or not be friends? (or maybe lesbian lovers but since I, in the charming words of Serena, am "strictly dickly," this intention doesn't find me often...or ever really.) I digress...With a male there seem to be 4932049320.4 different intentions: not friends, friends, good friends, acquaintances, friends with benefits, more than friends, etc. And if we all aren't going to participate in "Say What You Feel Day" then a lot is going to be gauged by gestures so you can see why I am interested in this...

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I like to think I have a pretty good sixth sense and sometimes psychic (not really but you know what I mean). However, like you, I do sometimes overthink things and jump to a lot of conclusions. Throw in a little bit of my paranoia, and it ain't good.

I think it's awesome you observe your surroundings so much, though!

Miss Scarlet said...

Oh I haven't even gotten started on discussing paranoia!

I-66 said...

Woah now... baby steps here.

Let's not complicate the male any more than necessary. I don't meet a girl and think she's going to be my friend with benefits, for example. Either we get to know each other on some level or we don't. I don't have intentions of making someone so specific, that'd be a ridiculous way to operate.

Cheryl said...

I read too much into gestures. Then, I will miss the ones I should be seeing. Maybe my gesture radar is off.

Miss Scarlet said...

I mean with people you are already friends with mostly. What kind of non-verbal cues would you give to someone you already know to let them know that perhaps you want more? Or what kind of cues do you look for from a girl? That's the kind of thing I was wondering about.

I-66 said...

I'm historically an over-analyst. It's something I've been steadily trying to turn off but it's not a switch I can just flip. I'm working on it. New I-66 is less read and more react. If I like someone, make a move. I do still subconsciously analyze things like whether she makes herself available to do stuff, whether I'm the one who's always calling, whether she returns my calls promptly... physically it's body language, general demeanor, physical contact...

But none of the stuff you do or take in means anything unless you make a move. In an already-friends situation the friendship may be at risk, but seriously a mature and rational human being isn't going to be completely scared away by something like being asked out on a date or the like.

Miss Scarlet said...

Cheryl- I wonder if there is a way to get a gesture radar tune-up?

i-66- I love trying to read into body language, it can be so much fun. And also comical to OVER read into (especially in an observational way).

Mindi said...

I love trying to read people's body language, in particular couples.

Anonymous said...

Showing the student id is a big gesture.

Salamander Subduer.

Miss Scarlet said...

I knew you'd understand:)