Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Indoor Living

I think the thing I miss most about college...no, wait I need to rephrase that:

One of the few things I miss about college is living amongst my friends. I lived in the dorms all four years and got so used to living with a friend, being in the same building as friends, being on the same campus as friends, and living in the same town as friends. It was so easy to just hang out and I miss that so much now. Even for friends who didn't live on campus it was never more than a 20 minute drive away. My friends were accessible.

I have really good friends now but it can be so hard to see them enough. We do fun things but it's not always that casual, hang-out type of thing that I guess I am missing. The thing is, though, that I'm not always up for the casual hang out which is another problem. I think that a lot of that problem is my lack of personal living space. If I had an apartment in the area I would totally be up for people dropping by or hanging out, coming over for dinner, etc. But while I want to be the hostess, I don't always want to be the visitor.

Anyway, just some current thoughts that I *can* post on here-if you know what I mean:)

8 comments:

Big Sky Girl said...

I feel you on this one. Whenever I start to feel lonely I miss the dorms. Everytime I need sugar, eggs, shampoo or a bar of soap; I miss being able to just knock on my neighbors door and say, "Hey can I borrow..."

Plus, how can you get to know anyone in this huge DC apt. buildings? Yeah, the dorms were cooler.

Anonymous said...

I do not miss dorms. Or communal showers.

SD

Miss Scarlet said...

It's not so much the actual DORM but the fact that I was so close to everyone. And um, I always had suite bathrooms:)

I miss the convenience of having all of my friends nearby.

Unknown said...

I never did the dorms, but I do miss having a car to drive myself wherever friends are and visit them.

Miss Scarlet said...

I miss your car, too, Flameon. I miss having an apartment near friends=/

Nicole said...

Even after I moved out of the dorms, I had 5, 6, or 7 roommates. Now I have to get in a car, plow through traffic, to laze on a couch and make fun of LC with my friends.

I-66 said...

I do somewhat miss dorm living sometimes. I was only in a dorm situation for 2 years, though, and thinking back being so close in proximity to everyone was worth more than I gave it credit for.

Miss Scarlet said...

Yeah, it's all about the proximity. I don't miss the small room or having to share a bathroom but I miss living WITH my friends.

(I also miss All Day Breakfast bar at the dining hall...)