Pages

Friday, October 13, 2006

The Conductor

One could say that today is my conducting debut. I'd rather not have today be put in the history books once I am a famous musician, or just famous for being me, but for now, we can mark today down as my debut. Even though I am not dedicated enough to be a cliched "starving artist", I love conducting. We all know about my dorky habit of collecting the music scores to things I'm playing in orchestra* so I can study them and my daydream wish to someday have to step in for an ailing maestro.

Today though, my debut is occurring at [insert real name here] Middle School in [city], [State]. You see, my dear friends, today is the Pep Rally and none other than the 8th grade band under the direction of ME is playing for the entire school.

It occurred to be early this morning that maybe I should be nervous. Does the thought of conducting/playing in front of 800 preteens scare you? Maybe I am okay because of the fact that about 60% of them will spend the time talking to their friends nearby. I'm certainly not expecting 100% attention. One day I said, "OK, let's get started!" and they actually all fell silent and, I kid you not, I almost fell off the podium. I felt light-headed, had to take a deep breath and get started. It was a funny moment.

But I'm not nervous. I think partly because it's Friday and I'm tired, but also because IT'S FRIDAY and about 2 hours after we play, and I conduct, I'll be at home starting my weekend. I've got more important things to think about than to be nervous.

I probably should have alerted the press about my big debut. It's a shame this won't be caught on film



*Eff PRO!

7 comments:

Frankly, Scarlett said...

Break a leg, darlin! I'm sure you'll be brillant!!

Unknown said...

So proud. *tear*

Anonymous said...

good luck!! :)

CBK said...

Don't forget to have the trumpet players sit upright and point those bells out!

Tyjen said...

good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds exciting! How did it go?

Miss Scarlet said...

Irish Red- Thanks, boo! It went great.

ARebelSong- Haha, you're right...hard to keep them quiet:)

Serena- Haha, thanks.

Rooroo- Thanks!

CBK- Haha, 2 out of 3 of thr trumpet players couldn't play bc they're in sports:(

Sub girl- Gracias!

Ant- I hope you buy my book.

Neil- It went well! Thanks for asking.