Pages

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Clark Gable

I wasn't named for Gone With The Wind, but since I do share a name with the heroine, I've always loved it. I was watching the movie a few months ago and got to the part where Clark Gable says to Scarlet(t): "...You should be kissed and often, and by someone who knows how. " and I had one of my classic, "A-ha!" moments. You know, where I finally hear the line of the movie or song and it makes so much sense to me. Or I finally hear it for what it really is and it strikes some chord in me and I totally fall in love with it again. I do this a lot. I'll love a song for years and one day, something changes and I hear it differently, like it's new to me and I'm obsessed with its new meaning for me.

So the other day I was listening to Mailtunes 1.1. This was my second time choosing the theme and I picked "clapping songs" so every song on the disc is based on, or has clapping in it. It's turned out to be an awesome mix, if I do say so myself. "Clark Gable" by The Postal Service was one of my additions and the other day I had an "A-ha!" moment when I heard this line: "That I've been waiting since birth to find a love that would look and sound like a movie."

I know a lot of people don't buy into the Ben Gibbard hoopla, but I have a lot of "A-ha!" moments with his stuff and I will readily agree that it's the Girl in me who relates to it all. Serena and I were talking about this the other day. How we wonder if guys sit around obsessing about stupid things or conjuring up scenarios that would only ever happen in the movies. Combine an active imagination with a tendency to daydream and that is what you get. I have to remind myself a lot that while I would love for my daydreams to become reality, I just can't get my hopes up for such fantastical situations to occur.

Okay, so on to the song. I was never one for analyzing books in English. In fact, I hated it and tried to be obstinate about symbolism and meaning whenever I could. If there had been a class on analyzing song lyrics, though? I would have aced it. And no, I'm not going to "analyze" this song. Heavens no. I'm not an emo-wussy-baby.

I was waiting for a cross-town train
In the London underground
When it struck me
That I've been waiting since birth to find
A love that would look and sound
Like a movie
So I changed my plans
I rented a camera and a van
And then I called you
"I need you to pretend that we are in love again"
And you agreed to

I want so badly to believe
That "there is truth, that love is real"
And I want life in every word
To the extent that it's absurd

I greased the lens and framed the shot
Using a friend
As my stand-in
The script it called for rain
But it was clear that day
So we faked it
The marker snapped
And I yelled, "Quiet on the set!"
And then called, "Action!"
And I kissed you in a style
Clark Gable would have admired
(I thought it classic)

I want so badly to believe
That "there is truth, that love is real"
And I want life in every word
To the extent that it's absurd

I know you're wise beyond your years
But do you ever get the fear
That your perfect verse is just a lie
You tell yourself to help you get by?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it wrong that I've never seen Gone With the Wind?

Pink Is Neat said...

There's nothing wrong with analyzing songs. It does not make you emo. Because if it did, then I would in fact be emo.

Ben Gibbard is wonderful, and DCFC is and always will be, one of my favorite bands. Thumbs down to the haters!!!!! Quite frankly, I think the people that don't like DCFC have no souls. But that could be because I haven't had my coffee yet this morning. So I may apologize for that comment later. We'll see.

Miss Scarlet said...

Just needed to clarify that my link to Smash wasn't meant in a bad way. I was just saying how some people don't like DCFC and I remembered that she had posted about it. Only love for Smash!

Unknown said...

I can't wait to get my cd in the mail. This one moved me, and many snaps to Ben Gibbard.

minijonb said...

This is gonna sound strange, but I only like Ben Gibbard's voice and lyrics when he's with the Postal Service and not with Death Cab. I think his stuff works better with the electronic backing.

Miss Scarlet said...

It's not strange. I can see what you mean. I def don't like EVERY DCFC song.

Miss Scarlet said...

Cindy- It's not weird, but you should see it. It's long, but GOOD.

Pink Is Neat said...

I didn't mean my comment to be specifically targeted at Smash either, however it's just the way I feel. :-)

I am in no way revoking my previous comment...

Senor Beavis said...

Hmm, apparently I have no soul. Well, I only hear that a few times a week. I suppose I should play the part.

Ben Gibbard is Strong Sad if Strong Sad weren't a joke and thus funny. (http://www.homestarrunner.com/vcr_ss.html).

I don't think it's possible to get more emo without liking Bright Eyes too ... oh wait. :) Well, at least you don't like Coldp... oh wait. :)

See, having no soul is kinda entertaining. It's a wonder I don't have more fun.

Miss Scarlet said...

Actually, Senor Beavis, if I sat around listening to Dashboard Confessional while crying and playing my own guitar, I would be emo. And, for the record, I always like the music first...then the words.

Don't make me pull out the, "I liked DCFC before they were big!" because I so will!