Pages

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Summer Dress 1 (All Her Winter Clothes)

If there's one thing I have a lot of, it's clothes.

Unfortunately, that statement is a bit misleading because clothes are not the only thing I own a lot of. Adding to the list would be CDs, DVDs, and books. And all four of those things I can not bring myself to get rid of. OK, so I own a Dave Matthews CD I haven't listened to for 10 years and I hate that band now. But give it away? I think not! And books? Why would I have purchased it if I didn't want to own it? I own so many Sweet Valley University books and there is NO way I'm giving those babies up.

Anyway, the point of all of this is that, in my new unemployed* status, I have taken to getting some things organized. I had planned on heading to Ikea this morning for shelves and clothes racks, but since I have class tonight**, I decided not to 'waste' my day in the car (it takes about an hour to get there for me.) So I won't finish my big overhaul plan today, but I, at least, am starting on it. Basically, when I am done I'll have made a room into a walk-in closet. I'm excited! If there's one thing I love*** it's organizing. My Richmond apartment closets were immaculate:

What's kind of funny, is that this photo**** is not indicative of what the clothes I wear look like. That's from 2003 and even in the past three years I think my style as evolved. And I must have been doing a load of dark-clothing laundry because 70% of my clothes are dark and it's not apparent from that photo.

Just a few things about how I organize my clothes. I like to have everything hanging up. I HATE folding clothes (maybe blame my short stint of working at Old Navy one Christmas season) and hate ironing clothes even more. I like to organize my shirts in this order: sleeveless, short sleeved, button-up (going from sleeveless, to short, to long-sleeved), long-sleeved, sweaters, cardigans, sweatshirts, and then jackets. If I get really bored then I also put them in color order, but that was more something I did when I really was unemployed in RVA;)

So that's what I'm up to for some of today before headed to class later (*vomit*). I'm headed out to Wal Mart in a minute for more clothes-hangers***** and a mirror.

XO,
SVR


*I'm not really unemployed. I technically still have two jobs. It's just that neither are making me feel very comfortable about the near future...
**I shouldn't complain since the other two were cancelled this week, but I'm going to anyway. I hate class.
***I always fear this is hard to believe for people who are close to me. My car doesn't count. That's often a shit-hole of clothes I've shed while driving (it's called layers, people, not nekkid) and a gazillion water bottles in the back. I am also not organized when it comes to my bags or school, but that's bc off **.
****You can totally see my knickers in this photo!
*****Wish I could afford nice hangers, but I so can't.

6 comments:

Veeda said...

How funny, because I'm not much of a Dave Matthews Band fan anymore either. I loved them in high school, but not so much anymore.

I find it somewhat sad that once a band was such a part of me and now I find nauseating. Have fun organizing!

lala said...

we are so the same person. my closets are immaculate, too. i LOVE organizing them. everything hangs in the same direction, size and color and season order...i used to know when a roommate had tampered with my clothes. i know where everything goes.

i am so jealous you have a whole room to play around with...like the best give ever was when nick gave jessica the closet room. sigh.

Senor Beavis said...

Is that a pair of oversized handcuffs on the bottom shelf of that orange thing, or just the angle it's shot at? And why did my mind conjure up that?

I think my closet is the only thing in my apartment that is organized? Anyone want to come organize for me? I'll cook for you. :)

Miss Scarlet said...

Veeda- Yeah, I still hold on to some past favorites:)

Lala- Haha, i LOVE organizing clothes:) Just not folding them...

Senor Beavis- Probably a belt...although saying they're handcuffs makes me sound more exciting. And what are you making?

Alison Santighian said...

Jealous of your "unemployed" ability to organized things - especially closets. H & I are coming up on the 1 year anniversary of our first Joint Closet Purge, and while we've kept it in relatively good shape, we're overdue (by the way things aren't fitting on the rack anymore)

Anonymous said...

I have good collection of stylish dresses which I bought from Wilsons Leather and Gap stores by using coupons...