Pages

Sunday, April 19, 2009

All They Ever Do Is Talk

I was reminded of something I wrote several years ago on gossip. 2005...here it is:


The other topic on my mind, and most others, recently is gossip. I'm not in the mood for paragraph writing so instead, I will post my thoughts in list form:
1. Spreading lies on purpose is always wrong
2. Breaking someone's trust is also bad
3. Being aware of your surroundings and surrounding people is good
4. Couldn't it be considered worse to go around totally unaware of anything that is going on instead of talking with friends about other friends and acquaintences? I think so, perception is a good thing. Refer to #1 though.
5. I don't want anyone thinking they can't trust me. I want to know your business as much as, sometimes more, than the next guy. I think this goes along with being inquisitive and perceptive and it probably doesn't hurt that I'd really love to be a spy;) But I have a lot of things that I'm taking to the grave with me and I know a secret when I'm told one. I would be devestated if a friend felt they couldn't trust me with a secret.
6. I can't really think of a single person who hasn't been interested in another person's life at some point
7. I tell one person pretty much everything. And it's not who most people would think it is. Here are some clues though so he/she will know who he/she is: captain oats...actually, that might be enough!
8. If you don't want to be gossiped about, don't air your bidnis (business) all over. And don't commit #1 because then whatever is said about you is deserved.
9. It's hard for me to consider talking with friends gossiping. Now, if they go and tell that to other people then yeah, it's a bad chain that is being made.
10. definitions of gossip:
A.Rumor or talk of a personal, sensational, or intimate nature.
B. A person who habitually spreads intimate or private rumors or facts.
C. Trivial, chatty talk or writing.
D. A close friend or companion.

Let's keep it as C and D, ok? "A" has too much of a negative conotation. "B" can be applied to #1.



I don't really feel the same way about everything I said before. Something I really hate is when someone is hypocritical so I don't want to say too much because I definitely talk about other people and don't want to get mad that others gossip about me. Sometimes it really is different, though. I want this to be an exact science, but it's not. I do feel like some people gossip in a very malicious way, while others may be working more like #4 and #6. There are times when I'm out with a large group of friends and I can't keep track of everything going on. Is it so bad to later want to know what was going on?

I'm talking in circles and that's where the lack of exactness comes in.

I dunno....


XO,
SVR

No comments: