Pages

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Going To Scotland

In preparation for my upcoming trip to Scotland*, I was thinking I should do a Scottish cleanse. What's a Scottish cleanse you may be wondering? Well, it does involve some scotch, of course, but it also involves immersing myself in all things Scottish in anticipation for being there. I actually got this idea when my e-friend, Sarah, tweeted about Scottish accents and I was reminded of my inability to understand most accents. (Seriously, it's like I shut down.) So I figured I would watch a bunch of Scottish movies leading up to my trip in an effort to get used to the accent, but then I decided to one up that and include music, too!

So, let's see...movies first, music later...

Scottish Movies To Watch:
  • Braveheart- Duh! I haven't seen this movie in years and am so excited for the rain, the fights, and Mel Gibson as William Wallace.
  • Trainspotting- Ewan McGregor is so good in this movie. I might skip the baby scene, but otherwise, this movie is so good and it's by Danny Boyle who also directed Slumdog Millionaire and 127 Hours. I also love Jonny Lee Miller and Kelly MacDonald.
  • Dog Soldiers- I haven't actually heard of this one, but it's a horror movie that takes place in the Scottish Highlands so I'm in. It has a pretty good rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
  • Rob Roy- Can you believe I've never seen this?
  • Stone of Destiny- Supposedly light-hearted and it has Kate Mara in it. 
  • Brave- Such a cute movie and the accents are to die for! Hard to believe Merida is voiced by Kelly MacDonald who you will remember is also in Trainspotting. 
  • Dear Frankie- Gerard Butler pretends to be a kids dad for a week while in port in Scotland? Done!
  •  The 39 Steps- Honestly, any excuse to watch a Hitchcock movie works for me. 


I think that's a good start! Do you have any films that take place in Scotland that you would recommend??


XO,
SVR



*I'm gonna mention this a lot. Sorry.


+ Title from The Mountain Goats

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I own Doomsday (also Scottish). You can borrow it :-)

Marta said...

So jealous! Think we own Brave if you need it. :-)