Pages

Friday, December 11, 2015

Book Boos: October

I was ignoring my computer for the month of November while I dealt with some very annoying back pain, but I still wanted to do my regular post on what I've read!



8. CARNIVAL OF SECRETS by Melissa Marr. (Audio). This was definitely a case of some of the story being lost because I was listening to it. I really liked some of the characters and the story of the fights, but some other parts lost me and I wasn't sure where/when we were. 
7. THE WINTER GIRL by Matt Marinovich (ARC). The first half of this book was a wonderful, Hitchcockian-inspired story of a man obsessed with the house next door. The second half felt more like a 'trying to hard' thriller movie. To be fair, I'm a huge Hitchcock fan so my lower level of excitement for the ending may have been because I was disappointed it didn't follow the great director's type of story. 

6. MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN by Ransom Riggs. (Audio). I liked this a lot more the second time around, but it still reads just a tad young for me. I know the characters aren't young (*wink wink*), but I kept imagining them all as being 12 or so. That said, I am still VERY excited for the movie!!!!!

5. THREE WISHES by Liane Moriarty (Audio). This is only my second novel by this author, but I really like how her stories all come together in the end and you realize how the pieces fit together. The audio was also a lot of fun because the reader is Australian, like the characters.

4. HOLLOW CITY by Ransom Riggs (Audio). I liked Hollow City more than the first installment in the series and especially enjoyed the journey the peculiars had to take to save one of their own. 

3. LEXICON by Max Barry (Audio then PB). I think I need to reread this, actually. My friend and I listened on the ride to NYC earlier this year and I really enjoyed it, but we'd get distracted at times so I know I missed stuff...and then it was many, many months later when I picked up the paperback to finish it up. I love the premise of this book, though. So cool.

2. RED QUEEN by Victoria Aveyard. I fell in love with this cover the second I saw it earlier this year and I am so pleased that the story is just as good! (But seriously, THAT COVER! I love it so much!!!!) This book was a lot of fun to read and I literally had no idea how it was going to end, which was so refreshing. I can't wait for the sequel in 2016.

1. A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES by Sarah J. Maas. I read this while on vacation and I remembering finishing it and just sighing. Like, "Ahhhh, did that just happen!?" Saying this was life changing would actually not be an exaggeration. I'm completely obsessed with it and the characters and world Maas created. It's epic and beautiful and romantic and fierce and just perfect in my opinion. PLEASE READ THIS!

No comments: