Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Book Boos: February

Yeahhh, I know it's May, but I still want to tell you what I've been reading!

5. WHERE'D YOU GO, BERNADETTE by Maria Semple. (Audio) I liked parts of this, but overall, it just wasn't for me. I couldn't get into the varying pieces of story that were supposed to give clues into the mind of Bernadette. I know a lot of people love this book, though. 

4. GLASS SWORD by Victoria Aveyard. (ARC) I was lucky enough to host an event where Victoria Aveyard and Sophie Jordan did a book signing, which was awesome! Victoria signed my books "Scarlet (Guard)", which is a nice touch! I like this series and enjoyed this book overall, but I think I was more into book one when Mare was in the palace rather than running and finding and figuring out the powers people have. (SLIGHT SPOILER ALERT) I think this would have been higher had there been more romance with Cal. Sometimes I just need more romance. And by sometimes, I mean always. 

3. THE SMELL OF OTHER PEOPLE'S HOUSES by Bonnie Sue Hitchcock. (ARC) Charming book about several characters in 1970s Alaska and how their lives all fit together. 

2. TRUTHWITCH by Susan Dennard. I had such high hopes for this book and was so excited that they all came through for me. I subscribe to Susan Dennard's newsletter, which is filled with amazing writing advice and she uses her own books as examples a lot so it's cool to now have her finished product. Also, she is BFF with Sarah J, Maas and their YA existence is basically my wish for my friend Abbie and I. :) Anyway, I love the world-building in this book and, of course, the two main female characters! It's a little tough to keep track of some stuff in the beginning, but I found that it made the book better because 1) it wasn't dumbed down for the reader and 2) it's going to make the reread more enjoyable.

1. UNHOOKED by Lisa Maxwell. (ARC) First of all, look at that cover! Gorgeous! The margin between one and two this month was so slim that I ended up giving UNHOOKED the top spot because I know Lisa Maxwell and she is really great about visiting the bookstore I work at and signing stock as well as doing events. I also picked this as number one because her character of the Captain is so memorable and awesome! I really enjoyed this retelling of the Peter Pan story because little things we always thought we knew were changed up and retold. Very clever!

No comments: