Pages

Friday, July 01, 2016

Book Boos: June

It felt like I read a lot in June, but then I checked Goodreads and it was only five!? Ugh, that's ridiculous. Having to work ruins things!

5. A Curious Beginning by Deanna Raybourn. (Audio) This was a fun book and I really like the main character, Veronica Speedwell, a lepidopterist who tries to figure out who is after her. I loved the Victorian England setting and the feisty nature of the main character. 

4. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo. (Audio) Honestly, this book was awesome and the fact that it's in 4th "place" just shows how amazing June's books were. I feel like I say that every month, but it's true! The world-building is awesome in this book, which is why I picked it up in the first place- that cover! I loved how different the entire story felt and read with fervor, trying to learn everything I could about this world Bardugo created. I can't wait to get to book two!



3. Prince's Gambit by C.S. Pacat. The only reason this hit at three is because I was impatient as a reader and wanted to get to what I hoped was at the end. Publishers Weekly describes it as an "erotic political romantic fantasy novel" which is a lot of words to describe a book, but they're all true. Everything in Pacat's books are multi-layered. It's incredible. 



2. Crown of Midnight. (Audio) I waited a long time to move along in this series,mostly because I wanted to save it. We all know about my ACOTAR series obsession and I kept thinking I could save this series for the long wait until May 2017, but Empire of Storms comes out this September and I don't want to be left behind so here we are...and I'm glad I did it because the Throne of Glass series is so much fun! I had heard some people didn't like book 2, which surprised me because I really liked it. We still get badass Celaena who is somehow even more badass as well as Chaol and Dorian who now hold very different spots in her life. 



1. Uprooted by Naomi Novik. Once I started this, I was so angry with 2015 me for not cracking this wonderful book open when I bought it! It is so so so wonderful and beautiful and filled with some of the most amazing imagery! I loved the main characters, who are both flawed, yet grow, and I really really loved the magic in the book and how Novik described it. It's loosely based on Beauty and the Beast and my boss at the bookstore has likened it to Night Circus, which I totally agree with. I could read all day about the magic in this book. And, side note, this would make an AWESOME movie!


No comments: