Pages

Friday, March 03, 2017

Book Boos: February 2017

5. THE HANDMAID'S TALE by Margaret Atwood. (Audio) Obviously this book is hella good and thought provoking and super terrifying...so why is it #5? Well...mostly because something has to be and it's not any less good than my other four reads this month, but I'm all about escapism with my reading lately and this one just hits too close to home right now. However, I am REALLY looking forward to Hulu's adaptation of it! 

4. A GATHERING OF SHADOWS by V.E. Schwab. (Audio). Let's be real: this book is incredible, but it, and my next two books on this list, were rereads, and I want to give newer books some higher placements this year. This series lends itself so well for rereads because you can focus on the wonderful words instead of just noting plot like we often do on read one. I love love love Kell and his interactions with just about every other character are so golden.

3. A COURT OF MIST AND FURY by Sarah J. Maas. Yep, still my favorite book. I had a Night Court-inspired birthday this year so I reread ACOTAR and ACOMAF in preparation for it. I also did a fun project where I put rose stickers on the lovely Tamlin parts in book one and star stickers on the many many many wonderful Rhysand/Night Court moments in book two. I plan to do a separate post on this soon. When I first read ACOMAF I was in the middle of a super crazy work schedule and assumed it was my near exhaustion that made me a weepy mess during most of the book. But nope, my reread left me super emotional, too. The only way I can describe it is as if Maas's words are the perfect fit for my synapses. I will say, I got a lot more out of the overall plot with Hybern on my reread, so that was definitely awesome!

2. HUNTED by Meagan Spooner. (ARC). I love a good Beauty and the Beast retelling and this one was so good! It had just enough changed so that it didn't read as more of the same and I really liked the main character. 

1. A CONJURING OF LIGHT by V.E. Schwab. (Print and Audio). WOWOWOWOWOWOOWWO! The final installment in the Shades of Magic series was perfection. I loved how the story ended, of course, but also loved how it got there. Victoria said it herself when I saw her at One More Page Books in Arlington, VA, but the books are a series of smaller and smaller stories under the umbrella of the book as a whole. ACOL reads so well in that format and I loved all of the pieces that came together...I also loved all of the increased interactions between our favorite characters...especially those on the ship...

No comments: