Pages

Thursday, September 03, 2015

Book Boos: August

August has been a busy month and I spent some of it out of town at two tennis tournaments where I didn't read at all. So, I'm happy with what I completed during such a packed month!


7. Swerve by Vicki Pettersson (ARC). Don't get me wrong, I did like this book even though it's in the last spot for the month. It's non stop action, but like shows like Dexter sometimes, you just have to stop and think "Um, HOW is this possible?" If you don't worry too much about the hows or care too much about the whys, this book is kinda like a horror movie. 

6. Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick (Audio). This book is almost like the prequel (with different characters) to 13 REASONS WHY. This is the story, with clues, leading up to the planned suicide of a teen. Heavy stuff.   


5. Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Audio then eBook). I was torn with this book. I loved the first and third parts, but the middle lost me for a bit. I did enjoy the characters and bonus points for an awesome cover. Also, funny story: I've been recommending this as a "clean" young teen book for about a year now at the advisement of a coworker at the bookstore, but they totally have sex in this book! Woohoo, but oops. 

4. Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare (Audio). While I did imagine Leonardo DiCaprio the entire time I listened to this, a bit was lost by just hearing the words and not seeing them being acted out. I do love this story as I love any story where two people fall in love in one night. At my old (not really) age, it's what I hope for most. 
3. Yes Please by Amy Poehler (Audio). I listened to this on the long drive from Virginia to Ohio and it had me cracking up in my car. I liked the way she presented her stories with a good mixture of reminiscing, bits, and stories from the present. I especially liked hearing stories about her SNL days.
2. Hello, Goodbye, and Everything in Between by Jennifer E. Smith (ARC). Jennifer E. Smith writes very good, satisfying books. And she (or her publisher/editor?) is a fan ofthe oxford comma, so bonus points there. I loved this story of two teens spending their last night before heading off to college trying to decide if they should break up or stay together long distance. 

1. In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware (ARC). Gotta love an unreliable narrator! I had received this ARC and wanted to read it, but once I saw that cover, I moved it to the top of my list and I am so glad I did. Great story of a woman trying to remember exactly what happened at her old friend's hen weekend. Had me guessing until the end! What a great debut!

No comments: