Pages

Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Summer Into Autumn Reading List

As we move from Summer into Autumn (YAY!), it's essential to have some good reading material for sitting outside at cafes while enjoying the cooler temps* and changing leaves. Or for while you're sitting inside avoiding the leftover summer heat while daydreaming about sweaters and scarves.


THE ROYAL WE by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan. Seeing as how it's 91 degrees out while I write this, I suppose including a "summer read" is appropriate. Not that this book will make you think of days at the pool or wearing sandals since it's set in England, but it's deliciously fun, which is something I think we all crave during the warmer months. Inspired by William and Kate, this book feels both like you're reading Hello and watching a BBC special on the monarchy. I had so much fun reading this one.  


I'LL GIVE YOU THE SUN by Jandy Nelson. I would love to give someone the sun- I am so over summer! So, not only is this book incredible (my favorite of 2014!) but it does give a good sense of fall as a leather jacket is part of it as well as some time spent in school. Fall=School as you will see in this list. I loved how this book was told from twins at different ages and the way Nelson writes how these characters think was so amazing. She is such a good writer.


THE GREAT GATSBY by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I actually love this book because of the partying, which I realize isn't really the English class reason, but to each their own, right? Not only do I love this book, but it has one of the best lines ever, which is so true: "Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall." A lot of people look to the first of the year as a time to reinvent and get inspired, but for me? It's Autumn. Love.


HELLO, GOODBYE, AND EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN by Jennifer E. Smith. This entire book takes place on the last night of summer break before two teens leave for college the next day. They're trying to figure out if they should break up before heading to opposite coasts for college or to try to stay together. Incredibly satisfying book, much like a pumpkin muffin. 

ALL UNQUIET THINGS by Anna Jarzab. Another sensational book that takes place right as summer moves into fall. This was Jarzab's debut novel and I was floored as I finished it. It's a convoluted mystery that also has a lot of character depth- not easy! 

BELZHAR by Meg Wolitzer. This book made me want to put on boots and a sweater and head to Vermont. Another story that takes place in school, but with some added mystery with one of my favorite writing styles, the unreliable narrator. I picked this book up because I loved THE BELL JAR and this book was such a creative way to incorporate Plath's book. 


THE MARTIAN by Andy Weir. While I don't think Mars has much of an Autumn, this book is incredible (!!!!) and the movie adaptation comes out in October! I usually prefer to read the book after the movie, but space movies make me so anxious that I picked up (and sped through) this one. I think this book is special because it combines drama, action, and humor so effortlessly. 

VICIOUS by V.E. Schwab.  Expertly told from different times in the story with part of it occurring while at school (aka Autumn!), this is an awesome book that always reminds me of X-Men. 

THE KILLING WOODS by Lucy Christopher. Christopher excels at writing books where the setting is as much a character as the humans are. This book takes place in Autumn and much of it has to do with, yes, the woods behind the main character's house. (Is there anything better in Autumn than the forest as the leaves change colors?)

THE 5TH WAVE by Rick Yancey. Unfortunately the movie adaptation isn't coming out until January, but the book will be perfect for the fall. I always think about the stars when it's time for the colder months because the air is crisp again and our views toward the sky are so much more clear. (Or maybe it's just because I like to be outside when it's cold and I take the time to look up.) This book, that's about surviving an alien invasion, talks a lot about the stars and the main character is even named after a constellation.
STATION ELEVEN by Emily St. John Mandel. My staff rec at work says, "Don't read this during flu season," but that's actually exactly what I want you to do. I thought this was a masterpiece. I loved how it was the story of a flu pandemic and the people who survive it, but the way it was told was so lovely. The story doesn't get into the gruesome details of millions of people dying, it gets into the gruesome details of those left who are trying to survive. 


MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN by Ransom Riggs. We have to wait way too long for this movie to come out (slated for March 2016), but this is the perfect book for reading right around Halloween. The photos are creepy enough to give you nightmares, I promise. 

SHIVER by Maggie Stiefvater. Beautifully written (so lyrical!), but it's the inclusion of temperatures that reminds me of Autumn. Put this towards the end of your Summer to Autumn Reading List because things really heat (ha!) up as this story gets colder and colder.
BORN WICKED by Jessica Spotswood. Another perfect book for closer to October. A book about witches who have to hide their skills, but most notably, this has one of the great first kiss scenes I've ever read. 

THE NIGHT CIRCUS by Erin Morgenstern. This book takes place over many months and years, but something about it makes me think of Autumn. I think it's again, the crispness of the nighttime that the majority of the story takes place during. This book is so amazingly good. It was truly a magical experience to read it. 




Well, there you go! Those options should keep you busy until Winter! Any titles you'd suggest for me??


XO,
SVR

*Will it ever be cool?


*Hopefully soon!

No comments: