Pages

Thursday, April 20, 2006

An Honest Mistake

Or, Why I should keep my mouth shut at work:


I just educated some of my coworkers on what today is and no, I am not talking about it being National High Five Day. I thought I was the last person to be educated on 420 when I was told by my college roommate circa 1998. Oh but no, apparently the (real) adults in my office have been living a lie, not knowing that today's date is synonymous with bong hits and Sublime.

And the worst part is, I kept blushing while I told them, afraid they would think I am a participant in the day (I'm not). Then I felt the need to clarify that I only knew because, "I went to college."


"I went to college"? Is that my "I carried a watermelon"?

Idiot! What point was I trying to make...that I spent four years around people who actually get excited for it to be April 20th? That everyone at college smokes pot and since I went to college I did too? I should have just stuck to my sources:

"I know this because I was a biology major and concern myself with all things related to botany. I have never known, nor do I plan in the future to know, anyone who who even knows what marijuana is.

Haha, Happy High Five Day*.


*Why did I say "haha"? Now I'm afraid you're all going to think I'm a pothead. I'm soooooo not. At.All. I don't even smoke cigarettes! I should just erase this whole post.

9 comments:

Reluctant Dater said...

omg i'm cracking up.

Anonymous said...

I didn't learn about 420 until senior year of college... 2001.

S

Miss Scarlet said...

S- Was that your big pothead year?

Melissa said...

foot in mouth foot in mouth foot in mouth. Awesome.

I didn't learn about 420 until I was 25 and living with a pothead boyfriend. So, don't feel bad.

Sparklebot said...

Nobody puts Scarlet in a corner.

Unknown said...

Love that you continued to dig that hole!

PS...thanks for keeping me educated. Consider me newly informed. ; )

Cheryl said...

Don't worry about it, maybe all your readers are high too...

Anonymous said...

Man, I'm so out of it, I didn't know anything about either High Five Day or 420. Going back into my cave.

Mansard said...

Funny.

I, too, felt the need to point out that it was "four-twenty" (with a stoner voice) even though I'm not a part of that scene at all.