Pages

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

I Will Follow You Into The Dark

I need your help, my dear blogger boos. I need musical recommendations as I am in a CD-buying mood, but just don't have the time or resources* to find some new, good stuff. I pride myself on knowing the good shite out there, but when I'm not at home for what seems like days on end, I just can't get out there to hear and read about the new bands out there. I often have success with the listening stations at work, but even there I don't have the time needed to really explore the "similar artists" function.

Here are the bands on my iTunes "Top 25 Most Played", although, it's not representative of what I truly have been listening to so I will add to the list what I have been obsessively listening to in my car:

  • Oasis ("Morningglory" is my pump up song, though)
  • Trail of Dead (I put one of their songs on a recent mix I made for someone)
  • Arab Strap (they = love)
  • Foo Fighters (ditto on the mix. I love them still, though.)
  • Incubus
  • Jimmy Eat World (mix CD)
  • Muse (Oh holy hell I love them SO much. I still haven't blogged about their concert because I can't find enough synonyms for perfection.)
  • Casiotone For The Painfully Alone (mix CD)
  • Imperial Teen (mix CD**)
  • Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
  • Interpol (omg new song is GOOD)
  • The Stills (mix CD)
  • Our Lady Peace (mix given to me)
  • Fiona Apple ("Paper Bag" = amazing)
  • Hey Mercedes
  • Howie Day (shut up)
  • Pilot Speed
  • Arcade Fire
  • Pavement
Sooooo, based on that, please give me some suggestions of some good music to check out! THANKS!

XO,
SVR




*Fast Internet

**Hence their being on my Top 25 because I tend to listen to mixes I make a lot to both make sure they flow nicely and because they're good.

13 comments:

CBK said...

I recently got big into some bands fronted by Rob Crow: Heavy Vegetable, Thingy, and Other Men. The music is "mathy" but it's great. Rob also has a band called Pinback which is more straightforward alterna-pop that you may like.

Miss Scarlet said...

CBK- I know some Pinback. Hmmm, thanks for the other suggestions. I'll check them out.

minijonb said...

I haven't picked up much new music in '07 other than the new Bloc Party, and I know you already know about that one. My fav from 2006 has to be Snowden's Anti-Anti. You gotta check that out. I'm really looking forward to the new release from The National ,Boxer, in a couple of weeks or so. If I think of any more I'll let you know.

Anonymous said...

Hey Miss Scarlett - this is a question right up my alley. Here are 3 that I'd whole heartedly recommend:

1. Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha - I think people who like Arcade Fire would like this.
2. Travis - The boy without a name - I haven't gotten my copy yet, but it's on it's way. They're my favorite of the brit pop bands.
3. The Apples in Stereo - New Magnetic Wonder - incredibly catchy - again I think it fits in well with the Arcade Fire thing.

THERE'S A NEW INTERPOL SONG?

Miss Scarlet said...

Spencer- I LOVE TRAVIS! Come back after you get and listen to the new album bc it's soooo good! I love it, anyway. I will check out Andrew Bird-people keep talking about him, but I haven't listened yet. I'm not the biggest AIS fan, but I think it's because an old roommate liked them a lot.


Minijonb- Ok! Thanks!

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Temple of the Dog

Zero Seven - Simple Things

Gorillaz - Demon Days

Blur - Think Tank.

Courtney Craig, DC said...

You have to check out the new Elliott Smith -- new moon. I'm a little out of the loop because my main PC is temporarily busted but I hear the new Feist is really good and Sea and Cake's Everybody is pretty swell too.

Anthony said...

I assume you, in your enthusiasm for all things Scottish, know Franz Ferdinand? If not, get listening!

Senor Beavis said...

It's not new, but I'd get My Morning Jacket's "Z" or their live album. I'd burn it for you, but Z was part of that big copy-protection scandal than crashed lots of computers, including my college roommate's. And if you don't mind sending money Down Under, Magic Dirt's last 3 albums. And, as always Carbon Leaf (less so their current CD) and Lloyd Dobler Effect.

Marissa said...

do you like jack johnson? i can't get enough of him. he's perfect for those rainy days. and i'm also obsessed with every grey's anatomy soundtrack that's come out. check them out on iTunes.

Born Worrier said...

I would reccomend anything by Enya or Clannad but havng said that my sister would definately not agree. Thanks for you comment, a lorry is what we Brits call a truck.

Miss Scarlet said...

Ultra Toast- Good suggestions! Thank you.


Courtney- Is it upbeat? is sad?

Anthony- Of course I do! Good choice.

Senor Beavis- Bust on the non burning. I can't do Carbon Leaf-I hate them. I'm sorry:(

Marissa- LOVE GREYS ANATOMY. I probably own much of what's on there already, hmm. Good thought, though. I'll check it out.

Born Worrier- No problem re: comment:) Cant do Enya-sorry;)

Anonymous said...

ok i know this post is from last week but i have been reading your blog for the first time today so.....i had to make some suggestions! these might seem random. haha.

"lazyeye" - by silversun pickups
"the world spins madly on" - by the weepies
"say it right" nelly furtado
"breathe me" by sia
"heartbeats" and "Crosses" by jose gonzalez
lets go sailing (the band)
the shins, anything by them.
and the new timbaland album (ok i know, totally random) is Awesome. especially the songs "miscommuncation," "time," and "apologize"

just a few ideas!