Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Simple Gifts

It makes me laugh at this time of year because with everyone running around trying to find gifts for friends and family, I feel like every word uttered is going to be taken as a clue for the perfect gift. My sister and I have a running joke from a year when she said to me during the Holidays, "You like Lenny Kravitz, right?" and I caught myself before I said something negative because I was worried that she had gotten me one of his CDs. So instead I said something like, "Um, he's all right...why?" and she started laughing and told me she was just teasing me and knew I wasn't a fan.

But I always think about that joke when it is Christmastime and tend to watch what I say around friends and family. I bought a movie earlier today because it was on sale and I need it, but I don't want to say what it is in case someone got it for me for Christmas. I notice when I say things like, "I want..." and sometimes, when it's appropriate or just plain funny, I clarify that I don't mean I want that item as a gift. It's not like I expect people to be getting me gifts, but let's face it, I know people are and it makes me giggle when I stop myself before saying something like, "I LOVE Slurpees!" because do I really need someone getting a 'great idea' to get me a years supply of Slurpees??*

I think I am fairly easy to shop for since I have countless interests and tend to either like or love most things. Just stay away from the following**:

1. sour cream
2. pastels
3. college basketball/football
4. alto saxophones
5. Ugly Betty


XO,
SVR


*Although, if that's what you got me for Christmas, I LOVE SLURPEES!;)
**Unless you already got me something related to this list, but if you have then you may not know me very well;)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG...I thought the same thing just the other day. I kept thinking how I was going to wind up w a ton of kitchen stuff because of my interest in learning to fend for myself :-)

Cheryl said...

Sour cream? That'd be a pretty lame-ass gift anyway.

CBK said...

When I was extolling the virtues of Veronica Mars on my blog during Season 3, I talked about wanting to see Seasons 1 and 2, but put a footnote that I didn't want to own them so my wife would know not to buy them for me. She did anyway. :-)

dara said...

Back in the day (i.e. the early '90s) my sister and I would get each other embarrassing cassette tape singles, wrap them in scraps of left-over seasonally-inappropriate wrapping paper, and force each other to open the gifts in front of the rest of the family while pretending they were the most awesome thing ever.

I started a similar tradition two years ago when I got her the pooping reindeer. Last year she got a pooping Santa. And this year, whatever it is, it better poop.

Ant said...

Can you mail-order slurpees?