Pages

Monday, September 09, 2013

Sample



“You must be on crack, Jessica!” I yelled into my phone.
                There was a pause on the other end as my best friend took a deep breath. I felt bad being so angry, but she knew I was dreading this weekend.
                “You know I wouldn’t ask if I had any other option,” Jessica said in a much softer tone.
                I fell onto my bed, which was covered in jeans and t-shirts. I had planned on spending my morning organizing my closet and had just pulled out every article of clothing I had in there when my phone rang.
                Jessica was the only person I knew who would rather call than text so I had immediately known it was her. She had left for work while I was still asleep so I hadn’t expected to hear from her until she got back to our dorm room later that afternoon.
                “I know,” I said, my voice muffled as I fell onto my bed and buried my head into a pillow. “Are you sure there isn’t anyone else who can do it? What about Jacob?”
                Jessica snorted. “Yeah right, Jacob’s the one who called out!” she said.
 I groaned. Jacob was always calling out and I said as much to Jessica. It had gotten ridiculous lately with the call outs at work. It was like no one needed to make money anymore.
“I know,” she said. “Unfortunately, everyone else who usually works on weekends requested the day off, as you know. I only called you because I’m desperate and knew your Friday class was canceled today. And because you love me and want to help me out.”
I could hear the sounds of the coffee shop through the phone. The churning of the coffee bean grinder, the steaming of the milk wand, and the clattering of plates as Jessica patiently waited for my decision on the other end of the line. She was anything but patient, though, so her lack of nagging meant that she really must need me.
“Fine,” I said, “but I’m not working the register and I’m leaving the second the afternoon shift gets there.”
My demands seemed reasonable, but I blinked back tears as I realized what I was about to do. At least if I just made drinks the whole time my chances of having to talk to anyone were low. Of course, hiding in my room all weekend would have been better, but I couldn’t leave Jessica hanging like that. She would never have asked me to come into work if she wasn’t desperate.
“You’re the best!” Jessica exclaimed. “Thank you so so so so much! Okay, I have to get back to work.” The phone clicked as she hung up.
I took a deep breath and blew it out slowly, trying to stop my stomach from expunging itself.
“You’re welcome,” I whispered, but of course, the line was dead and she couldn’t hear me, which was for the best. If Jessica was still on the phone I probably would have changed my mind.

No comments: