Pages

Sunday, October 19, 2014

"Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors" vs "Fake Plastic Trees"

"Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors"




There are barn doors
And there are revolving doors

Doors on the rudders of big ships
We are revolving doors

There are doors that open by themselves
There are sliding doors
And there are secret doors

There are doors that lock
And doors that don't

There are doors that let you in
And out
But never open
But they are trapdoors
That you can't come back from

(2001. Amnesiac)

This is a total robot song. No melody, no real singing. It's just kind of there.  

Fake Plastic Trees



Her green plastic watering can for
her fake Chinese rubber plant
In the fake plastic earth

What she bought from a rubber man
In a town full of rubber bands
to get rid of itself

It wears her out, it wears her out
It wears her out, it wears her out

She lives with a broken man
A cracked polystyreneman
Who just crumbles and burns

He used to do surgery
For girls in the eighties
But gravity always wins

And it wears him out, it wears him out
It wears him out, it wears him

She Looks like the real thing
She tastes like the real thing
My fake plastic love

But I can't help the feeling
I could blow through the ceiling
If I just turn and run

And it wears me out, it wears me out
It wears me out, it wears me out

If i could be who you wanted
If i could be who you wanted all the time, all the time

(1994. The Bends)

Is this really from 1994? It has held up so well! I've probably said it before, but my favorite songs almost always have a huge crescendo at the end with a softer resolution. With a lot of Radiohead songs, I love that they sound like they're being sung in an empty bathroom. It's an echo or something or maybe it's just that Thom Yorke is that good and it's not over-produced. I also love songs that get me tapping my foot to a beat that I'm not aware of. Whether it be the bass line or drums that I can't pinpoint- I love it! I think it's a sign of a well-constructed song. Anyway....I didn't really need to write so much about this song. It's great!

And the winner is...

Fake Plastic Trees.

No comments: