Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Book Boos: April

I've read/listened to 36 books in 2015, which I'm super excited about and I hope I can keep up this rate until December! I finished seven books in April. Let's review:

7. Virals by Kathy Reichs. (Audio) I chose this book because I'm always being asked at work to recommend mysteries. I wasn't expecting the supernatural element of the story, but I did like the main character who is the relative of Temperance Brennan from the Bones series. This read a little young for me.


6. Sweet by Emmy Laybourne (ARC) I haven't read this author's other series, but having heard good things, I was excited to read this advanced reader copy (ARC). This is a weird story. The premise is that two best friends go on a luxury cruise that is introducing a new weight-loss sweetener. Of course, things go horribly wrong. Some of the plot moved a little too quickly for me, but I loved how insane things got on the ship.

5. The Young Elites by Marie Lu (Audio). I really liked Legend so I was excited for this new series with the awesome cover. Parts of the story felt super long to me, but to be fair, I was on a long drive so that may have made the difference. I will pick up the next book because I did like the story that was set up at the end. Gonna need more romance in book two, Lu!

4. Anatomy of a Misfit by Andrea Portes (Audio). This was a special book. I started it, enjoying the main character's voice and the story that kept my drive feeling light and fun. But man, without giving away anything, this is one of those books I want everyone to read.
3. Hotel Ruby by Suzanne Young (ARC). I lovvvvve Suzanne Young's writing. If you haven't read The Program, you need to! This book doesn't come out until later this year, but I was lucky enough to get an ARC. It's deliciously creepy, romantic, and mysterious. 
2. Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen (ARC). I was so pleasantly surprised by this book. Not that I didn't think it would be good (Sarah Dessen isn't incredibly popular for writing crappy books!), but I was worried it would be too juvenile for me. And yeah, there were times when I, as a woman in her 30s, really wanted this get a lil more romantic, but overall, I really liked this book. The characters are wonderful and really set this book apart from others. I think it's going to be a huge hit. (Duh.)
1. The Royal We by Heather Cocks & Jessica Morgan (ARC). And my #1 book I read in April! This was such a joy to read. It's long in the best way because once you start reading about Bex's life in London, you don't want it to end. Of course, having been inspired by Wills and Kate, some of the story sounds incredibly familiar, but with a wonderful cast of side characters, the entire story still feels fresh. And, as a personal plea: buy this book because I need a sequel!!!!!
What have YOU been reading? Let me know in the comments or on twitter!

No comments: