Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Privilege

After my first class tonight my dad said, "We're proud of you. We don't know why, but we're proud." Ha, my poor parents, I so rarely throw them a bone and give them information on my life. Usually I insist on them asking me questions which often results in me telling them they've used the day's alloted number of questions.

I didn't tell them I was moving out of Richmond until a few weeks before my lease was up and my mom finally asked the specific question. The day I took the Praxis I told them I was taking, "one of those 'after college tests'" and when I got the results I just said, "good, above average."

It's a running joke that when I tell them I'm engaged they'll say, "To who?" One time, my dad asked, "Do you have a boyfriend?" and I answered, "No, do you?" to which he laughed and said, "I get it."

I'm not really sure why I have a mental block with sharing things and it's not necessarily something I'm trying to change. I'm private, get over it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My parents always say that one day, I'll be talking to them and casually say, "Oh yeah, I got married."

SD

Miss Scarlet said...

Man, you beat me on that one. But, and this is weird to talk about, if I'm ever "with child" I'm not telling anyone until they start to ask.

specific questions, people!

Unknown said...

I just give it all. It's easier that way.

Miss Scarlet said...

I don't like being adult-like around my parents. It's weird. I'm not really child-like around them either though.