Pages

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Bird On A Wire

It's not psychological rocket science* to know that when I'm tired I am more likely to venture to the "dark side." You know...where I tend to think about what I don't have and what I have to do instead of just going with the flow and being the positive, optimistic person I am. Now, just to clarify, my dark side is seriously only a few drops of black into my normally happy red or green. I don't do pastels, but if you took your run of the mill, cheerful color and made it a shade or two darker, that would be me when tired. Nothing to worry about or really even to avoid, but maybe not what you would use to color the flowers or sky with in your watercolor paintings.

So I'm tired. So what? Right? Who isn't? So instead of focusing on that, I'll focus on one of the reasons I am tired right now:


Last night Steven and I saw Rogue Wave in Charlottesville, VA. Neither of us could go the night other friends were going and on Friday, when we realized the Ch'ville show was doable, we went for it...And got home at 2am. I wish I could say I wasn't a totally lame 26 year old who can't handle not getting 8 hours of sleep days in a row. It would be nice if standing almost all day at work and then almost all evening at a show didn't make my hip joints cry with relief when finally in the sitting position for the car ride home. Wouldn't it be great to say that our meal of pizza, chicken fingers, and french fries** left me energized and ready for the evening instead of in search of water and a time machine to choose a less greasy dinner? I can't say those things, though. Apparently, I am an old fogie. A really tired old fogie. I'm even drinking a gin and tonic right now which pretty much = old person.

It was a good evening, though. I had a lot of fun and the bands were really good. I thought Steven and I did a good job entertaining ourselves while waiting, too. The short, drunk guy helped who kept posing for pictures and then, after awhile, was too drunk to even walk. I made up stories for people and Steven was a terrible potty mouth...it was amusing. We also got in a lot of fights.

Ok, but anyway, I actually started this with the intention of just posting Rogue Wave lyrics I like. Even though this is a cardinal blogging sin because it's so lame and cryptic, I was going to do it anyway. So here ya go:

Are you hoping to get out of this mess
truckloads of coffee, conditioned to confess
you’re a bird on a wire
and you’re wrestling


missed the last train home
birds pass by to tell me
that im not alone
well im pushing myself
to finish this part
i can handle a lot
but one thing i'm missing is in your eyes


interruptions are always on my mind
interruptions you know i'd like to unwind
and i do have the time
said i'd like to unwind
but im out of the lonely





* This makes sense in my head.
** Oh yeah!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hated that short guy.

But not as much as I hate you.

Miss Scarlet said...

you know it's oppositte day, right?