Pages

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Secrets Of The Heart

My aunt who is in town from Vermont asked me tonight at dinner, "So...are you dating anyone?"


*sigh*



It's not the answer I sigh about, but the question itself. I just can't be that open with family members for some reason. My cousins were always bringing boyfriends around and it always just seemed so ridiculous until they were married or engaged.

I said something really vague about how "even if I did, I wouldn't tell anyone." (HA!) She said, "Not even to your Aunt?!" Not while you're sitting at a table with my grandparents, mother, other aunt, and uncle.

I think I blushed, though, so now they'll probably all think I am.


In funnier news, my mom likes Laguna Beach! She said it relaxes her. She also really likes "The Shy Retirer" by Arab Strap (RIP), especially the "cunted circus" part which she tried to look disapproving of, but I could tell she dug it.

And whenever we listen to music in the car she'll say, "Who is this?" and I answer immediately because I know everything. Tonight, The Bravery's "An Honest Mistake" came on which sounds like another song every time I hear it. I said, "I'm not sure..." and my mom said, "WHAT?" hahahahha...but I got it correct, I just needed a minute.

7 comments:

dara said...

I always used to bring boyfriends home (or to family events), and -- except for the one boyfriend they all loved -- everyone always expressed strong opinions of them.

Neither of my siblings ever brought anyone home. We never even met my sister's husband until after they were engaged.

Then again, no one got to tell her how much they didn't like him until after they were already married.

I often wonder which is worse.

Pam said...

I hope excruciating detail works for you!

After the dating question I had are you getting married, are you having children, when is the baby due, are you having another baby....OMG! And just when I thought it would all stop, now it's Is Your Daughter Dating? Guess I better give that excruciating detail a try myself!

Cheers,
Pam

Frankly, Scarlett said...

I feel your pain! I still have to sit at the kids table because I'm the only one not paired up! and don't want to bring anyone home until its serious...we dont need my family to know just how many boyfriends i breeze through in any given year, now do we?

Unknown said...

I throw my mom a bone every now and then. Of course, you know what her latest response was!

Miss Scarlet said...

Dara- Yeah, I don't want to hear people's opinions.

Ant- Ummmmm, no.

Pam- Haha, it's insane how nosy people are, huh? hehe

Irish Red- Noone ever offers me a drink at family things and now my 21 year old cousin gets one before I do!

Serena- I throw my mom other bones.

RC said...

bummer.

Anonymous said...

I used to get that question all the time and I agree with Ant - nothing shuts the questions down than saying something like "I've got a few friends with benefits - if you know what I mean" - and then wink.