Pages

Monday, September 04, 2006

Television

I have pretty much spent the past four days glued to the tennis coverage on CBS and USA. The rain delays of Friday were well-timed with my plans to hang out with friends and even the Barnes and Noble scheduling gods somehow didn't schedule me at all this weekend. To say I've had a glorious mini vacation would be putting it mildly. I have been beyond content to relax and just watch tennis all freaking day long. It's sick to some, I know. Velvet commented that the weather must be crappy up here because a bunch of us were commenting on her latest blog. As I said there, the nice weather can wait until the US Open is over.

The biggest news of the tournament so far, as most everyone knows by now, is that Agassi is officially retired. Done with professional tennis. It is a serious end of an era as he is the last of the Sampras/Martin/Ivanisovic/etc. group. Now tennis is all about Federer, Roddick, Blake, and Nadal. My new personal favorite is Andy Murray, of course. I'm hoping for a Maria Sharapova on the women's side, but would also be okay with Lindsay Davenport winning as I think she's about done and would love for her to go out on top.

Anyway, the reason I am talking about tennis again is because today during the Haas/Ginepri match, Haas called for the trainer and I was glued to the TV as intently as if it had been match point. From about junior year of high school until sophomore year of college all I wanted to be was a sports physician. I wanted to be the trainer who ran onto the court when the players called for a medical time out. I loved the idea of being on-call and having to think on my feet to treat injuries within three minutes. I, obviously, and not a sports physician now, but it's so okay. It's not something I regret AT ALLLLLLL!

OK, back to the match. Mauresmo vs. Serena Williams. This is the type of match where I don't want anyone to win. I would never wish injury on anyone, but maybe they'll both have to retire at the same time.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL, I was just coming on here to email you and ask you who you were rooting for in this match. I hate them both, but I think I might hate Serena more. I want her to go back to her wanna-be fashion career.

BTW, speaking of Serena's fashion, here's one more reason to hate her...you know how she has always said she designed her own tennis outfits? Well the actual designer of her outfits was on Project Runway this season (although she's already kicked off) and she said specifically that she has spent like the past five years designing outfits for Serena and then not getting any credit for them at all.

Stupid whore ;);)

Anonymous said...

One more thing I forgot before...what is up with Mauresmo's boob sweat? It looks like she needs to nurse her newborn!

Miss Scarlet said...

Cindy- You crack me up. I hope Mauresmo is beaten next round.

Pink Is Neat said...

I just remember on Friday when we watched tennis for .5 seconds and you saw the guy rubbing the leg cramp out from that one tennis player (please excuse my ignorance) and you were like "I want to be that person!!!"

Unknown said...

Well, I can definitely say you kept me in the tennis loop this weekend.

Melissa said...

I posted that stupid post and walked away for 2 hours, and was shocked to see you kids on there reading blogs! Too funny.

Andre Agassi came into a restaurant where I was eating with my parents. That's all. My only claim to fame.

Miss Scarlet said...

Ant- Yup! Mauresmo won so now I hope she loses tonight.

Pink is Neat- Haha, yeah. I get way into it.

Serena- "HOLD YOU BREATH!"

Velvet- Pre-bald head or post?

Arebelsong- Thanks! I like how they said how the current Agassi had been beating his old one. Cool.