Pages

Friday, May 12, 2006

5 Minutes Alone

This may or may not come as a surprise to some people but, I love Pantera. )No, not Pan(t)era although I also happen to be a big fan of theirs, too.) I'm talking about the band. I wish I could put them on right now but alas, I am at work and I don't think my coworkers would appreciate songs with titles such as, "Cowboys From Hell," F***ing Hostile," and "Suicide Note, Pt. 1."

But oh how I love them and I can't even pinpoint what it is that actually makes me HAPPY (see song titles above and understand my confusion) when I hear them. Maybe part of it is a nostalgia thing, as I link Pantera with my junior year of college and the addition of a whole new group of friends** and partying. Without risking losing future jobs from prospective employers googling my name, finding this blog, and reading about my college adventures, suffice it to say that I had a lot of fun*.

So last night was VH1's Behind the Music on Pantera and I was literally glued to my seat watching it. Phil Anselmo freaked me out because at certain times he looks identical to a friend of mine who would probably be ecstatic to hear that but shouldn't be since Phil was (is?) an alcoholic heroin addict***.

Anyway, I know this is probably boring many of you but until I think of something more entertaining, it's all I've got. Oh and the blog title? I had a radio show in college and my senior year it was all dedications. I dedicated "5 Minutes Alone" to someone once.


*Really nothing illegal or anything. But details aren't important:) If anything, I maintined my status of nerd always, just sometimes while double fisting it at a kegger.
**I realized that I should clarify that this wasn't some weird, metalhead group I started hanging out with. Really, only one person in the group liked Pantera and noone drank Black Tooth Grins, but the band always reminds me of those times. And I also think I may be the only person to make mix CDs with both Pantera and Britney Spears.
***My friend doesn't do heroin. I've only known one person who did heroin and the story doesn't end well...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I just like that you call the sandwich shop by the same name as the band...like some kind of odd dedication. : )

Did one of the members of Pantera get shot at a club in the past couple of years? Am I thinking of the right band?

Miss Scarlet said...

Yes:( Dimebag Darrell was shot while playing with his new band. Man, on BTM they showed it and it was so scary to watch. I remember when he was killed and my friend was devestated. I teared up a little when I got to BN and told Matt (receiving manager).

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Double fisting? I sure hope that means something other than what I think it does.

I found a tape of 'Cowboys from hell' in a house I moved into once that. It rocked. Hard.

I like 'Walk'.

Miss Scarlet said...

Double fisting= holding two drinks.

"Walk" is a good one! I like "Cemetery Gates" but who doesn't?;) I love "Planet Caravan" cover, too.

rooroo said...

my mom says pantera when she means panera and it makes me giggle every time... :)

Miss Scarlet said...

I've trained most people around me to call it "Pantera".

One time I played Pantera for my mom and she said, "It's what I thought it would sound like, I like it."

Oh yeah, my mom is the coolest.