Pages

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Quiet

Orchestra was amazing last night.

I really had not been looking forward to it because I was tired and I was afraid I would be meeting up with The Bassoon Lady after rehearsal which would really put me home at a late hour and I still had pizza to order and an exam to work on. But things worked out PERFECTLY and she arrived at about 745pm so I got to quietly leave rehearsal to do the exchange* which ended up taking almost 30 minutes. I came back in and was pleasantly surprised to have missed one of the more boring pieces on the evening's schedule.

Added into the Cast of Characters is Clarinet Dude who is the Clarinet section leader. He's been there since the beginning so I don't mind that he sits higher than me. And also, he's HILARIOUS and totally makes fun of people in a voice that is sometimes not a whisper. He HATES Oboe Girl and last week said he would, "shoot her if she was [his] daughter." Last night she started to play the tuning note but it sounded like a duck with bronchitis and he winced and said something about her being worthless. She never plays our tuning note which is RIDICULOUS. How difficult is it to play an "A" each week in tune? Isn't one of the first things learned in band how to play a sustained note? Did she miss that day or something? She also must have missed a few more days when kids learn social skills because her's are a struggle.

I also had a fun time last night joking with Clarinet Dude about becoming Maestro's favorite orchestra member. I think I can do it! He now knows me by name and last night noticed when I walked back into rehearsal holding a new instrument case. I was a little embarassed though because he asked about it, "Bring the wrong instrument?" and about 30 heads swiveled around to watch me answer. It's like buying a new computer though and I don't want to have 30 people asking me how much I paid or what kind it is and then giving me advice. Advice AFTER the fact is no good to me and I don't want it. I have an HP laptop and I love it! But I digress...

Later on in rehearsal he reminded us of the concert he's playing in this Saturday and Clarinet Dude and I took the chance to speak up and ask a few questions. CD asked if he has his music memorized (he does). I asked if he's played it before (he has), if he'll say hi to me if I come (he will), if I can take my picture with him afterwards (yes), and if he'll be signing autographs (yes, with a laugh). Maestro LOVES me now!



*Not so much an exchange though since I left with a bassoon and she left with a promise to call her on Sunday about the dinero.

3 comments:

CBK said...

To quote The Dead Milkmen:

"Do the Brown Nose"

You're on your way!

audrey said...

Ooh, you got the bassoon! Clarinet Dude sounds hilarious. You both make me want to join band.

Unknown said...

Only you, Scarlet ; ) Other may think you're joking about your exchange with Maestro, but I know you said exactly what you wrote and did it while probably giving him some version of the famous 'eyes'. Hahahaha.