Pages

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Shake It Off

I do not get nervous about playing the clarinet. I may worry about my reed effing up or tripping while walking onto stage, but I do not get nervous about playing the clarinet. I wasn't nervous for my senior recital or to play at Carnegie Hall (ok ok, I was a little nervous there but come ON, it's to be expected there) and I've played in a million concerts where I was fine. So imagine my surprise when my hands started SHAKING while playing my impossible solo tonight in rehearsal. Well, actually my hands started to shake right after I got through the impossible part and proved my worthiness by not screwing the part up like I did last week when I forgot how to play. I just really wanted my part to sound okay so noone would be thinking the dreaded, "Hope she doesn't blow it" because that sentence and Scarlet do not go together. That sentence would go with the violas. Or the second violins. But not me!

Anyway, nothing else too exciting tonight, just an extra long, rough rehearsal since it is our last one before the weekend of concerts. My favorite part of the night was when the two opera singers came up on stage to sing one of their duets. They shared a water bottle and Clarinet Dude and I immediately looked at each other in that knowing, "they're sleeping together" way. I mean, what? No no, we did not look at each other like because that would be weird. He did joke about them sharing bodily fluids. Saliva, people. Saliva!

So I'm glad I played my solo well. I need to play it louder but that will be a piece of cake.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I played the clarinet for seven years - 6th grade through high school. I was pretty good, too, but I went to college and did lots of other stuff besides play music. Anyway, I still have it; it's sitting here in my living room as we speak, not that I could muster enough lung power to make a note actually come out of the thing. I still remember all the fingerings, though, of course. That's great that you are still playing. :)

CBK said...

Glad you got it right. Good luck in the concerts this weekend!

playfulinnc said...

I was a clarinet player for 7 years, too! Sometimes, if there was nothing interesting in the first clarinet part, I would switch to bass and go sit with my guy friends.

Honestly, although I went to All West, etc, I gave it up because I could not control the shaking fingers, and that makes clarinets squeak like a pelican.

I'm so proud that you made it thru!
(oh, and for singers to share a water bottle...they are SO sleeping together.)

Spencer said...

You have a backwash thing don't you? Didn't I read that elsewhere?

Miss Scarlet said...

Melissa- I had that moment in college where I had to choose between tennis and music. It was a tough decision but I'm glad I chose music.

CBK- Thanks!

Playfulindc- In middle school my friend and I would play other part for weeks and then learn the first parts right before the concert so we wouldn't get bored.

Spencer- Well, yeah, I don't like backwash (but who does?). I can drink after people, it's not some weird germ/spit phobia. But if I see someone drink in a way that is gross, i won't drink after them or let them have from my drink.

Unknown said...

So bummed I'm going to miss this concert : (