Pages

Monday, May 22, 2006

Parade Of Punk Rock T-Shirts

So I didn't even go to the DC101 Chili Cook-off this year (I hate Hoobastank so much I don't even want to be near them), but I still have some thoughts:


1. Crowd Surfing Is Annoying:
Elliott this morning kept saying how awesome it was that so many people crowd surfed. Now, I have never crowd surfed (because it's dumb) so maybe I'm being hypocritical here but, what is so great about it? It's not like the band thinks you're cool and is going to invite you on stage. It's not like anyone in the audience is saying, "Gee, this guy is AWESOME!" Once you crowd surf to the front of the crowd the bouncer dudes yank you down and make you go to the sides/back. You could get dropped. HELLO! You could fall from the air, about 6 feet up, onto concrete. How is that fun? Now, at a hardcore punk show, I will condone it but it's totally different because a) it's expected and b) it goes along with the energy of the show, blah blah. But I've seen people crowd surf at Jimmy Eat World. JIMMY EAT WORLD!? They sing a song called, "Sweetness" and people are crowd surfing to them?

2. Showing Your Adult Parts: I hate hate hate hate hate it when chicks get on guy's shoulders and pull their shirts up. First of all, it is usually really awkward because generally, clothes and undergarments aren't made to me pulled up like that gracefully. And what makes a person think that anyone wants to see them take their shirt off? I have to say I love it when a chick flashes her boobs and the band singer says something mean to her. Dave Grohl did that once, "Oh God! Put those away!" And guys-is it really so great to see someone's girls? It's not like you get to do anything more than see them (unless of course she crowd surfs and then you get to grab them bc crowd surfing=grabbing.) I just don't get it.

3. Moshing: Moshing is a lot like crowd surfing where it is NOT always appropriate. I went to the Chili Cook-Off when Jimmy Eat World and Cake played and the crowd FELL ON ME at one point because the moshing was so crazy. These bands and moshing Do Not Go Together. AND that's not even what moshing should be. If you've ever gone to a punk show then you've seen how people rarely get hurt and they watch out for each other. Now yes, quite a few times I've been hit by a mosher or been stepped on by a crowd surfer but that's when I'm risking it to be at the front of a show. If I go to the sides or back, I'm safe. That is what these people moshing to non-moshable bands don't get-it's not about just flailing around and hitting people, it's actually dancing and as Johnny said, "This is my dance space. This is your dance space. I don't go into yours, you don't go into mine. You gotta hold the frame."

4. Smoking Weed: I will never understand being ballsy enough to do that outside and in a crowd of people you don't know. What if some pissed off duty cop is next to you? What if an on-duty cop sees you? Correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't marijuana still illegal? And throwing smoking into this category-please be aware of your burning cigarette/joint and where it is in relation to those people nearby. Besides clowns, there is nothing scarier than a drunk guy and his flailing cigarette.

So did anyone go to the Chili Cook-Off? Was it fun? Did you see that prick Flounder and was he an ass?

9 comments:

Sparklebot said...

Having been burned by a friend's cig when she got bumped at a club, I second the stand against smoking at shows!

I don't know how many times I've been grabbed at shows--it's like guys think that since there are so many people there, they can do whatever they want and disappear into the crowd.

audrey said...

I. Hate. Hoobastank.

I used to work as a tutor in a girl's boarding school. They all loved that utterly shite song..."I'm not a perfect peeeersssooooon! I never meant to do these thiiiiings tooooo yoooou!"

Vomit. Retch. Repeat.

Meanwhile, there are disgustingly high statistics of girls being raped in mosh pits.

Unknown said...

Every time I hear the words DC101 and event, I think mass frat party and get hives.

CBK said...

Elliot is still on DC101? He started there shortly before I moved away 5 yeasr ago.

I'm not a fan of smoking and getting burned by cigarettes, but I'd love to bring a flamethrower too a show to roast all the damn moshers. Fucking idiots!

Cheryl said...

You should write a how-to for going to concerts. Really, I love this post.

Miss Scarlet said...

Smash- And why do guys just want to grab and run? Is it that great? I don't get it.

Audrey- OMG You got that song stuck in my head! I would never be in one of those hella crazy mosh pits where noone cares if I'm raped or killed. I'd rather miss the show.

Flameon- Elliott is hilarious though!

CBK- You lived in DC? Yeah, he's still there-you a fan??

Cheryl- Thanks:) Have you seen Buddyhead's rules?

CBK said...

I wasn't a fan of Elliot's at first. I've never been much of a shock-jock fan actually, but he grew on me a bit, and he promoted hockey and kids charity, so I softened towards him. I was more of an HFS listener, and liked Lou Brutus when he was on there.

CBK said...

Oh yeah, I lived in DC, NoVa, and Annapolis from 1996-2001.

Miss Scarlet said...

I have a problem with the term, shock-jock, because they don't shock me. Howard Stern does because I am shocked people liked him that's all.